Mitsubishi Multiple CPU Programming Help

mitsuplc123

Hello All,

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to all.

This is my first time posting. I've been reading these forums for the past few months, registered about a month ago, and now posting today! From everything I've read, there are a bunch of smart and helpful people here. I'm hoping you might be able to provide some guidance to the following scenario.

I've been tasked with a complex project. Program a Mitsubishi Q03UDECPU and Q173NCCPU in a dual CPU setup. The behind the scenes control of the system is done with the PLC, but the CNC Motion controller is used to provide motion control to three servo motors and custom programs. The setup is to be made so that a user can access the CNC Controller (the Q173NCCPU - C70) through the HMI (Mitsubishi GOT 2000) and create a CNC program. Somehow magically the input from the CNC codes are translated to work with the inputs and outputs setup on the PLC. The ladder logic and anything set up with or through the PLC will never change. The only things that change are the CNC programs the user creates to run different parts. The CNC controller is the interface for a user to control the machine, as well as custom buttons from a programmed HMI screen.

Question is, how do I create that translation or relationship from what a user inputs in CNC into the correct control from the PLC?

So far I've downloaded about 20 different manuals from the Mitsubishi website and none, at least from what I could tell, pointed me in the correct direction. But it's probably my inexperience and I'm sure I'm reading over a term that is important.

I have the code and PLC/CNC setups from a previous machine that runs very similar to this one. But this new one has two more servos and minus some components. All the necessary software has been purchased to communicate with the devices.

The challenges to this project - my first time programming a PLC outside of an academic scenario. First time using Mitsubishi.

I've met with a representative from Mitsubishi, and everything we want to do is possible! It's just I'm having a difficult time finding how to connect the dots to make it possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Any feedback is appreciated.

The challenges to this project - my first time programming a PLC outside of an academic scenario. First time using Mitsubishi.

Ouch and ouch!

Mitsubishi experience is limited here but there are some. I would strongly recommend that you push your distributor to provide support if you don't have the experience/knowledge internally. They should have expertise to help with this and hopefully won't charge for it because Mitsubishi is trying to grow their US market. My experience w/Mitsubishi is that it's not obvious or intuitive and digging through manuals for a detail that tanks you one step closer is tedious and mind-numbing. Rinse/repeat for the next step you need to take.

Thank you Paully and Ronnie for the replies. Yes I'm definitely feeling the pain and overwhelmed. I have some time to complete this project so I'll keep on pressing forward. I'm looking into the training classes and trying to find a mentor who has completed a project like this. Until then, back to the manuals and trial by error!