Mitsubishi PLC Battery Replacement

Mohamed El

Hello Everyone,

I have a Mitsubishi PLC FX3U

According to Mitsubishi PLC manual we have to power off the plc and change the battery in 20 seconds maximum. BUT Has anyone ever replaced the battery with the PLC powered on ?

FX3U-32M_battery.jpg

I have done hundreds of them while powered up & never had a problem, there is a large capacitor that will keep the program for at least a minute or two but 20 secs is what they recommend, indeed on the older A series we had one that still had it's program without a battery after 3 days. Although it is not recommended, I used to regulary replace the batteries every 12 months and rarely powered down as most ran 24/7, you will need to re-boot at some point as when you remove the battery the error light will come on & only a re-boot will clear it or at least I think a stop then back to run. I did have one where the new battery was dead as the error would not clear but another battery solved the problem, in any case it is imperative you do have a copy of the program & status of the Data memories just incase, preferably a documented copy but you can upload the register values into the Main data file so in the event of lost values you can restore them. I know most Mfgr's say power down but over the last 30 years changed hundreds without powering down & never lost a program yet.

I have done hundreds of them while powered up & never had a problem, there is a large capacitor that will keep the program for at least a minute or two but 20 secs is what they recommend, indeed on the older A series we had one that still had it's program without a battery after 3 days. Although it is not recommended, I used to regulary replace the batteries every 12 months and rarely powered down as most ran 24/7, you will need to re-boot at some point as when you remove the battery the error light will come on & only a re-boot will clear it or at least I think a stop then back to run. I did have one where the new battery was dead as the error would not clear but another battery solved the problem, in any case it is imperative you do have a copy of the program & status of the Data memories just incase, preferably a documented copy but you can upload the register values into the Main data file so in the event of lost values you can restore them. I know most Mfgr's say power down but over the last 30 years changed hundreds without powering down & never lost a program yet.

Thank you for your answer.

I replaced the battery today without powering off the PLC. The operation was quick so the battery alarm flashed red for a moment and it went off; i didn't have to restart the machine.