Modbus read coils bits to RSLogix

cstep7263

How do I read IO Buffer Modbus Coils by bits in RSLogix? There is a Read Coil 36 at bit 0, read Coil 37 at bit 1, read Coil 38 at bit 2. I'm reading 5 Discrete through message commands from Modbus. Do I bring the Coil Read in as a Integer?

Last edited:
We need more information. What flavor of RSLogix? What variety of Modbus? Is the RSLogix based PLC reading from another device via MSG instructions or is it responding to messages from another device?

We need more information. What flavor of RSLogix? What variety of Modbus? Is the RSLogix based PLC reading from another device via MSG instructions or is it responding to messages from another device?

The PLC is Compact Logix L32 us RSLogix 5000. The L32 is reading Modbus Registers from a Prosoft Modbus to Ethernet Gateway via message instructions. In the Gateway the Message instruction is messaging 10 Read Coils to a tag. In the Modbus table it says Read Coil #, but it also has a bit # with it. "Read Coil 2 bit 0." "Read Coil 33 bit 1"........ etc.