Modicom PLC programming environment

atatari

What is "Modicom PLC programming environment " that I have seen in some discussion groups.Is it a type of plc?

Eric is correct, Modicon was the first. they were the most reverred plc for years, until mega marketting took over, and Allen Bradley became Number One!.

The name Modicon actually means MOdular DIgital CONtroller.

So, when did all this magic start? 1967, and the first plc had 125 words of memory. My, have times ever changed.

So much for the history lesson.

best regards....casey

Last edited:
Most current Modicon controllers have the ability to be programmed with different operating systems (environments). These operating systems have different scan methods as well as different command sets.

Their relay ladder logic system is 984 Ladder Logic and can be programmed using different software packages like, Modsoft, ProWorx, ProWorx NxT, Fastrak, and several others.

Their IEC logic system can be programmed with software packages such as Concept and Unity.

I think the original poster was speaking of Modicon's unique "network" programming format, at least as ladder logic goes. It's something that takes a bit of getting used to, particularly for branch-happy A-B programming hacks. The other unique feature is not having to have one's output instructions in the right-most programming position, allowing single, simple rungs of logic to perform tasks that would require endless branching in A-B.

But then there's IEC 1131...which seems to be some weird programming cult not unlike those beings that tormented Charleton Heston every night in "The Omega Man."

In most of the PLC course being tought they let you that the Modicon plc was one of the first plc made.