MPI serial adapter via Ethernet>Serial converter?

Hey

Anyone who had success in connecting a Siemens MPI serial adapter to a PLC via a ethernet to serial converter?

I have tried to use a Tibbo device server DS202 ( http://www.tibbo.com/ds202.php ) without success with Step7. It's possible with other OPC'n but not with S7.

Does S7 have some special nonstandard hardware handshaking demands?

Suggestions?

/David

David,

the serial to MPI adapter has to be connected directly to the serial port of the PC at all times. If you want to connect to MPI over a modem then you need to use the TS (TeleService) adapter. The reason is that Step7 sends parameters to the MPI adapter at startup and this is not possible to do over other media. The TS adapter has the possibilty to store its parameters. For that reason you also need the TeleService software: to store the right parameters in the converter.

I think the same goes if you're using any other interface between the PC and the adapter, so in your case I think you need the TS adapter.

Kind regards,

JVDC,

have you ever seen this working , it was something that I wouldn't mind trying as a backup , and what you say makes sense about using a TS adapter rather than a "normal" PC adapter .
thanks!

Hej

Try the adapter from Helmholz called NETLINK LITE(700-880-MPI01). I have used it many time without any problems. It convert from ethernet to MPI/PROFIBUS, so you can use it on WLAN to.

10BaseT,

a relation of mine used to use a modem to connect to an installation on the other side of the globe. He told me about this setup, but I've never seen it with my own eyes. My answer is based on his experience and what I've read about it.

lauu,

the Helmholz interface does sound like an alternative. I think it would be worthwile to check it out.

Kind regards,

You may need to check your settings in your com port redirect. I have done this sort of thing with AB plcs and it wouldn't work until I set it for RAW.

The Helmholz also have a adapter with built in modem, so you can do teleservice of a system via the MPI bus. It called SSW7-TS WITH MODEM (700-751-8MD21).

I think they also have a OPC-Server that can bee used with the NET-LINK adapter.

Jesper

I have done this with one of our HMIs as the Ethernet to serial gateway, with the Siemens PC adapter connected to the HMI's serial port. On the PC side, the virtual serial port software I used was from HW Group: http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html.

When I had it set up I was on a LAN. A customer of mine was having issues using it from outside his LAN due to what I assume was port forwarding issues.

Regards,