need same version? RSlogix5000

realolman

A guy is telling me if a ControlLogix 5000 was programmed with version 15 RSLogix 5000 you need Ver 15 RSLogix 5000 to open it That version 19 won't do it. is that correct?

Yes, you can install all the various versions together. Depending on how you installed v19, it may have given you the option to install the previous version support.

Yes, you need the same major version. (15.xx, 16.xx, 19.xx, etc.)

I believe it can be converted up, so the 15 project could be opened and saved in 19, but then you can't download it to the processor with 15 firmware.

Good thing is, you can have multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 installed on the same computer at the same time.

I recently updated to v 19... you say the opportunity to install v 15 or whatever should also be on that disk?

If it's a version 15 project then when you open it in version 19 go into controller properties, click change controller and select 19 in the revision drop down box. Then OK.
Then you'll be able to see the logic. But as Tharon said once you've updated you can't go back.

If you are really ambitious then download the Control Flash Utility and flash the processor to V 19. You won't have to **** around with trying to find an older version of Logix and you gain some features that 19 has over other versions. I would only do this if you have time to make sure it converted properly of course. Also, flashing the processor is no big deal but if you interupt it (power fail whatever) you will brick the processor.

If you are really ambitious then download the Control Flash Utility and flash the processor to V 19. You won't have to **** around with trying to find an older version of Logix and you gain some features that 19 has over other versions. I would only do this if you have time to make sure it converted properly of course. Also, flashing the processor is no big deal but if you interupt it (power fail whatever) you will brick the processor.

While I respect MadPLC's suggestion, I have to disagree.

I would suggest not upgrading the cpu firmware until you have a pressing need to do so. As mentioned, your v19 DVD has v15 on it also. Pop that in and add v15 to what you already have. Leave the CPU alone.

While I do think v19 is a worhwhile firmware upgrade at some point, if you change the rev of the CPU then others that only have v15 software would be forced to upgrade their software to v19 also. They may not have v19 available to them as you do.

OG

This is not actually the case anymore, since the introduction of the 1756-L6x series which uses flash memory for firmware (with L5x it is possible to brick the module).

The Flash process works differently on the L6+ series, in that if the download is interrupted, the processor is reverted back to factory default rev. 1.9, and the Flash process can be re-started.

This is not actually the case anymore, since the introduction of the 1756-L6x series which uses flash memory for firmware (with L5x it is possible to brick the module).

The Flash process works differently on the L6+ series, in that if the download is interrupted, the processor is reverted back to factory default rev. 1.9, and the Flash process can be re-started.

That's good to know. I didn't realize that had been updated. This is what happens when you stray away from a brand for a while.:)