Need to Choose a Controller

Engineer_UA

Hi Gents,

I need a controller for operating two ~5 HP VFDs in industrial facility. I think PLC would be an overkill for this application, since I'm dealing with ~15 monitoring points and two PID loops. I was thinking DDC system, but my understanding is it is geared more towards building HVAC systems and may not be an appropriate selection for running two water service pumps.

I would want something reliable and easy to maintain as most equipment at the facility hasn't made the jump to digital technology.

Regards,
EE

I would not do this type of an application without a PLC.

1 Micro820 ($189.00)
1 Maple System Hmi (Hmi5043xx) $269.00

Now with both of these working together, you would have a MQTT Publisher(you could publish all the data to SCADA systems around the world or corporate office, VNC server to allow remote connections (you would want to setup some type of firewall-security). Internet Time Protocols, Email (Alarm, event notifications), File storage that could be FTP'd back to excel spreadsheet.

This controller already has interface for various Allen Bradley Drives - but will take Modbus RTU-TCP, should you want to go that route. (I use Schneider Process Drives with this setup all the time - with complete control)

This is just how I would probably approach this project.

I would not do this type of an application without a PLC.

1 Micro820 ($189.00)
1 Maple System Hmi (Hmi5043xx) $269.00

Now with both of these working together, you would have a MQTT Publisher(you could publish all the data to SCADA systems around the world or corporate office, VNC server to allow remote connections (you would want to setup some type of firewall-security). Internet Time Protocols, Email (Alarm, event notifications), File storage that could be FTP'd back to excel spreadsheet.

This controller already has interface for various Allen Bradley Drives - but will take Modbus RTU-TCP, should you want to go that route. (I use Schneider Process Drives with this setup all the time - with complete control)

This is just how I would probably approach this project.

Dear,

Thank you for the reply. This indeed looks like just the right standalone controller.
Any reason why you wouldn't use a DDC system?

Thanks.

I don't know enough about DDC Systems to provide any type of recommendation.

I think both system could provide a solution.

I have much more experience with the equipment that I suggested. (Several years and 100's of units in the field with very little trouble.)

I just gave my opinion from my work experience with this equipment.

What ever you choose I'm sure will provide a project solution.