Networking micrologix and SLC500

ToddM

Hi Folks...Over the past couple of weeks I've aquired a couple of used PLCs. One is a micrologix 1000 1761-L16AWA and the other is a SLC500 1747-L20A. I would like to network the 2 together {just to expieriment with the MSG funtion or whatever else I can use}.Is there an easy, painless, inexpensive way to do this? I think I'm going to need a link coupler {I think its 1747-AIC or something like that} for the slc but I'm not to sure about the ML1000. Would I have to create a data hiway between the 2 somehow or is there a way to direct connect them? Any advice would be appreacated as well any diagrams etc.

Thanks and later...Todd

The L20A SLC500 (fixed IO unit) can only receive messages and send reply messages to command messages sent from other nodes on the DH-485 network; it cannot initiate communication and it does not support the MSG instruction.

The ML1K will need a Net-AIC to connect the RS232 port to DH485 and will have to be configured to talk DH485 protocol.

All communication (requests and commands) will have to originate in the ML1K.

Alric...Is this what I need to do to connect them? Is there anything else that I need to know besides what you have already told me?

SLCML1K.jpg

Thanks{again}and Later....Todd