Networking PLCs

TL140

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys. New here.

Maintenance guy of only a year now. I have a basic understanding of PLCs and have had to do some monitoring, but never had to program any myself. During my schooling, I learned to program them but as i said, haven't been able to use that knowledge yet.

My question today is:
Does anyone have any material/tutorials that explain networking PLCs where they can cascade off of each other and use each other's programs to preform more complex tasks?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Before providing an answer, you should know, the more information you provide the better the answer you will receive. In addition to quality, you will get your answer quicker in that you will have fewer posts.

So to answer your question with a question...what PLCs are you using?

Each manufacturer has their own networking topology. A general question will garner a general answer. A manufacturer specific question will garner a manufacturer specific answer.

Controllers with Ethernet can be interfaced to an unmanaged or managed switch or router. Serial based controllers with RS485 can be "daisy chained"

Controllers that use a primary program with I/O at other locations would be referred to as distributed I/O.