Old Slc 504 Processor

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
If I have a 1746-OA8 and have used all the outputs, can I upgrade it to a 1746-OW16 without any issues? I realize one is a relay output card and the other is not..

You would have to change and re-download the program.
Honestly, if you must do that, and don't have any extra slots, I would put in a DC output module (OB16) and wire the outputs to simple driver relays for the 120 VAC side. Something like these.

That way, you can replace the relays easily if there is a failure, which you cannot with the OW16.

If I have a 1746-OA8 and have used all the outputs, can I upgrade it to a 1746-OW16 without any issues? I realize one is a relay output card and the other is not..

You will have to change the I/O configuration in the processor and then download to it.

My opinion, no.

I would use a 1746-oa16 output card.

the oa16 card is a triac output versus a relay output.
more than likely the output current is enough to weld the relay on the output or the outputs are turned on and off so many times that the lifespan of the relay is used up and fails.

I have had several machines that cycled over a million cycles in 2 weeks so we had to use triac outputs.

you will have to reconfigure the output card and download the program.
Make sure to upload the program first and make a backup copy as insurance.

regards,
james