Omron - 5 high speed pulse trains to Parker Drives

Hi,

I am growing in my Omron knowledge, but this one has me scratching my head.

We have a customer with an Omron spec project that wants to control 5 Parker Drives with highs-speed pulse trains - 40kHz each. There are also some assorted digital I/O and analog

My first choice is the CP1H-Y, but it only allows for 4 high speed outputs, and I don't see an add-on module in either the CP or CJ family that would give me an additional pulse train.

Given this, even if I stepped up to a CJ2M, I'm still not sure what modules to use. I suppose I could use 2 of the CJ2M-MD212's, but that sure seems like overkill.

Is there a module I could use that I've overlooked?? I could use another set of eyes or brains...

Hi there, Sc
At 5 axes, I'd be networking the drives rather than using pulse outputs. EtherCAT maybe a mutual meeting point between Omron and Parker (certainly, Omron supports it admirably)

If you're stuck with pulse outputs, then the CP1H can be expanded with any 2 CJ modules; there's a 1, 2 and 4 axis pulse output card (CJ1W-NC113, 213 or 413). These are very capable cards and the manual is an epic!

Personally, CJ2 and EtherCAT. My $0.02

Pp

Thanks PP!

I don't see those modules on the list of CP1 compatible CJ modules, but I will look into them - thanks for the pointer!

I hear what you are saying about the ethercat - but our customer's standard design is pulse train, and they want to hew as closely as possible to their standard design. They've told me their usual PLC for this application is a Micrologix 1400. I see how the 1400 can do 3 pulse trains, I don't see how they can do 5, so this may be a little bigger than their standard machine.

Geez! Point them at EtherCAT - it is absolutely awesome. I am hoping Omron will use it for peer to peer with 2 Ethernet ports per card. Wire network with loop and break detection between nodes. Really fast too.
www.ethercat.org - have a look at the members list - becoming massive.

CP1H cpu's will support CJ1W-NCxxx modules. Omron refers to these as position control units. Please see paraffin power's post for part numbers.

You will also need a CP1W-EXT01 adapter to connect the modules to the cpu.

Hope this will help.

Be aware, though, that:
- CP1H can accept maximum of two CJ1 units, and these cannot be regular digital I/O units.
- Controlling CJ1W-NC modules is significantly different from the CP1H PTO control instructions.
- CJ1W-NC modules allow speed change on the fly, but do not allow the target change on the fly, while the CP1H PTO allows both.
- If you need a user-side soldering connector for the CJ1W-NC, ensure it's not included with the module, before ordering it separately.

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice, the Omron manual I had didn't list the NC modules as being supported by the CP1H, but after your posts, I called tech support and verified that a CP1H-Y and NC solution woould work.

The project has come along quite nicely - the programmer, despite not having an Omron experience previously, swiftly converted his MicroLogix program over to Omron, and seems to be enjoying working with the product.(y)