Omron Comment Jibberish

Sean Teague

We have several PLC programs that came from Japanese built equipment. When i open these programs in CX-Programmer, most of the comments appear as numbers, symbols, and letters instead of english. Any idea on how to read these? is there a conversion process?

Samples...

¶¯À°ST¸×ÝÌßPL

‹‹–û‰Áˆ³AV

These machines are extremely old. The company that built them does not exist anymore.

Then you may need to do as Engineerj22 suggested and also you may need to install Japanese CX One (CX Programmer) I would look at a reinstall and see if you can choose the languages to be installed

Then you will need to convert the Japanese to English

Another option... maybe someone from Japan can open it and either convert or print you off a copy thats in Japanese, I know we have a couple members here that are in Japan

If the copy you opened actually has Japanese language comments in it still, you may be able to get back to them by installing the language pack or font. If Whoever opened the project last before you did saved it with the gibberish unicode characters I don't think it's fixable (not in Mitsubishi world, anyway). I run into this a lot.

Another option... maybe someone from Japan can open it and either convert or print you off a copy thats in Japanese, I know we have a couple members here that are in Japan
I am based in Japan, however, unfortunately I do not have the CX Programmer. If it is possible to get an evaluation license, I can install it and try to open those projects.

I've had a play with running it through an ASCII > Hex translator and HEX > various languages.

https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/hex-to-ascii.html

Could it be commented in Chinese? Getting some very rough translations for some words like "cylinder" and "enquiry" but haven't been able to get the whole thing to translate.

Tried to puzzle this out but there's got to be something missing.

The best I can do with the above method and UTF-16 encoding is this:
"The following is a summary of the findings and recommendations of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination."
And I'm just not sure that's right.

Your phone can auto translate with the picture app.

https://support.google.com/translate/answer/6142483?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android

I've set it up, and just used my phone in front of the pc as I scrolled through logic. It works great when your prints for some old JP manuals too. I have not done it in years. That link may be the wrong solution. Its also a godsend if they send you to any country. Its the universal tool for finding a bathroom in a different language.

I dont remember how well Cx imports and exports tags and comments, but you could find and replace the Japanese symbols. OOOooooo nevermind! I just tried to google translate ¶¯À°ST¸×ÝÌßPL ‹‹–û‰Áˆ³AV and that is some miscompiled jibberish. At first I thought you were being rude lol.

I've performed this type of conversion before. Unfortunately, Omron CX Programmer does not use Windows fonts although to do any conversion, you'll need Windows Japanese fonts at least.

I just tried Puddle's method. Decoding the first line comes out to "Cutter ST clamp PL" using Shift JIS (Japanese).

The second line didn't translate well. Maybe you have a typo or a bad copy/paste?

1) Change Region and Language Settings "Current System locale" to Japanese.
2)On CX Programmer, Go to Tools -> Options -> Appearance ->
2a) Change all fonts related settings to MS Mincho Font with "script" setting changed to Japanese