OT-Anyone Ever leave "Easter Eggs" in HMIs

Did a system many years ago with a little strip printer for alarms, and programmed it to print out "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year" at midnight on the appropriate day. Never heard boo about it from the operators, so I decided I was only amusing myself and took it out of future systems.

I was disappointed - after all, they were quick enough to call when a malfunction (or what they thought was a malfunction) occurred!

Tom, that's a good one, they probably didn't want you bother you on a holiday, no?

I always wanted to rip off Mortal Kombat Trilogy's little "Toasty" dude that would slide in from the sides, and the music...too bad there's not a soundblaster for the G3, I suppose I could embed something in a custom webpage though...

I thought that might get me in trouble with some software giant if I posted it. I have gotten a lot of ideas from this thread and enjoyed it very much.

I have done a couple of things, on one of our machines we built the owner (and founder) of the company passed away shortly before the machine was finished. I added a hidden screen that when brought up there was a picture of him with a small message to dedicate the machine to him. Wish he could have seen it.

Other than that I have put some hidden or password protected engineering screens on new machines that we use to debug but would be otherwise useless to the operator.

-Dave

I always wanted to rip off Mortal Kombat Trilogy's little "Toasty" dude that would slide in from the sides, and the music...

<----Young enough to get this reference

Does the G3 line play MIDIs? Could have sworn the star wars theme was in there.

Last edited:
Right before our big outage, a tornado hit the south side of our plant, near the cooling tower - blew off a few walls and ceilings but no people or large equipment got hurt.

So when touching up the circ water system screen, I added a basic tornado next to the cooling tower icon (we track cooling ower pool level).

The operators loved it (wanted more ? I refused) and after a few weeks, the operations supervisor came in and asked me to remove it (company big wig visiting that day). I just shrunk the tornado down and moved it to the bottom corner of the screen - its still easy for operators to 'window zoom' in very closely and see it.

-John

When I was learning RSView for a project, I made an alligator in a pond at the bottom of the screen. His eye blinked, tail wagged, and he crossed back an forth on the screen. Boss saw it and made me leave it on there for our pond pumping project.

As far as G3 there are a few sound files on them, Star Wars being one on them. I have a couple hidden buttons on the last G3 I did it plays 4 of the sound files. Haven't heard a word form anyone so, I am guessing no one has found them yet. Just waiting for someone to rest their finger on the right blank spot on the screen! 🤾

If you can't have a little fun, then what do you have????...