OT Disney Magic

CharlesM

Well I just got back from seeing the mouse. While there I did not get to see as much automation as I wanted but I did see some good stuff. I saw a lot of AB switches while going onto the rides. I also got to see the Kuka robots at Epcot. They have 10-12 robots playing music and such. I also saw a plastic extrusion machine making plastic parts with Kuka robots removing them. I wish I could have looked at it a little closer but I have twin 7 year old girls that wanted to see other items. I loved Mission Space that had a nice Rittal enclosure (like I have used before) and it appears to be based on the Kuka "RoboCoaster" but I am not sure. Saw some linear motors on some rides and some Turck prox switches. I also got to ride a Segway. It was very cool.

Can anyone fill in some blanks on what else I missed behind the magic?

In general what they have is called "animatronics". There may be a plc here and there but much of it is PC controlled, BUT the PC involved may not be the same as we are familiar with.

Animatronics, that is what I have always wanted to do.

The history channel just did a show on it. Much of the automtion there is centralized and performed by rack mounted computers.

Everytime I go to a theme park I find myself looking more at the automation on the attractions than the attraction myself. I was at one last weekend. The thing is, my 10 year old son is really interested in that as well. He spends a lot of time in line trying to figure out how the brakes work, or wondering what a particular sensor is for. Poor kid. He's doomed. 🍺

Imagineer, the ultimate job.

Y'all ruined me, can not got near rides any more, safety, safety, safety.

My wife and daughter have a season pass to the local water/theme park, there now. I can not go with them because I could care less about riding, too busy looking at the mechanics and/or safety.

For those that do not know I worked with Amusement rides for most of my life. I still have visions of DoranLand, LOL.

The Animatronics is getting better all the time. Thats one thing with Disney they keep all the old stuff. You can see the difference in the new and old. I would guess that they build one new human type animatronic and use the same design in several places. It looks like most of it is air powered but I wonder how they control the movements. They have to be closed loop control and reprogrammable. I would guess they use some small R/C type servos as well. I'm on the Advisory board at my local tech school. This past spring we purchased several 5 axis robots that use these servos. The robots are small but not that different from the larger ones I use at work.

I've been told that the Abraham Lincoln display in the Anaheim Disneyland is (or was) controlled by an A-B 1774 PLC.

I caught some special about some crazy roller coaster that was recently unveiled (I want to call it the tsunami, but I know that's wrong).

The clip of the control panel showed redundant CLX with a ridiculous number of modules and what looked like a seperate PLC towards the top. I couldn't identify it.

My wife made fun of me for pausing the show and telling my son about the various parts in the control panel and what they did.

At least I'm not the only one who is as interested in going on the ride as finding out how it's controlled.

I worked for the mouse in the Magic Kingdom back in the mid 90s. At that time they were using mostly AB PLC's. The ride programs were not resident. What we did in the morning was to call DACS (Digital Animation Control) and ask for the show to be transferred to HOPS (Hall of Presidents) for example. Then you get on the ride and look for obvious malfunctions. Some are pneumatic and some are hydraulic. The country Bears were hydraulic. You had to watch for leaking hydraulic fluid at the movement points on the bears. In the old days they were called audio animatronics because the program for each portion of the show was on an audio disk similar to the old 12" laser disks. One of the odd things is, on each of the rides each sound has its own card. Our shop was located underneath the Tiki Birds and you could push little test buttons in the cabinets and produce each individual sound of each show. I have been talking to some of the folks I know down there, and it is almost all Siemens or is being migrated to Siemens. Back in 2005, the mouse signed a 12 year pact with Siemens. check this out:

The Siemens-Disney alliance brings together the world’s leading family entertainment company with a premier global technology and infrastructure company in a 12-year strategic partnership that was announced in November, 2005. Disney already uses a range of Siemens products and technologies, but the alliance agreement expands the relationship and paves the way for the two companies to broaden their technical collaborations across several platforms including theme parks, cruise ships and other lines of business. As part of the alliance, Siemens will sponsor several rides and attractions at Walt Disney World Resort, including the Epcot icon, Spaceship Earth and its post show area which includes 9000-square feet of interactive exhibits based on Siemens technology. Other attractions sponsored by Siemens are the nightly fireworks display at Epcot, the holiday light show at MGM Studios at Walt Disney World® in Florida and a technology showcase at Innoventions in Disneyland®, as well as its two popular parades: Disney’s Electric Light Parade and Walt Disney’s Parade of Dreams. In addition, the companies are working together to develop and further apply new technologies across a range of platforms, as well as explore ways to integrate some of Siemens technologies into Disney’s current and future attractions and resorts both domestic and international. Siemens will also build on its existing relationship with Disney Media Networks and ESPN by sponsoring ABC’s video board at Times Square in New York City.

OK, nuff said.

Robert