OT: TeamViewer=Yes QQ=NO!!!

Also, I just ordered a 480G SSD, and got VMWare Workstation and have it installed on 2 laptops and 1 desktop so far.

Not going to redo the problem laptop until I get the SSD tomorrow

I'm an AB guy, never really even dabbled with Seimens, to be honest. He probably knows what he's talking about!

Same here, been AB since the 90's and have all the software, adapters, cables and years of experience.

Siemens is new to me, that's why I frequently have to call in a Siemens tech and am trying to find a reasonably priced class (like $0.00) for learning Step7 & TIA Portal.

VMWare Workstation and have it installed on 2 laptops and 1 desktop so far.

if the "Tools" add-on still comes separately - then download and install them too ...

you can (or at least you used-to-could) run VMWare for free - but they ask you to buy a license if you're going to be using it commercially ... I bought licenses for all of my "student" computers for about $149 each ... I would gladly have paid twice that price ...

Ron,

I just checked and the Drivers & Tools section for VMWare Workstation says there are none available.

For free they have a Workstation Player, which is a "streamlined" version.

There is the PC Adapter USB which is good enough for online programming.
There is a CP5711 USB interface that works as the CP5512.
And there are 3rd party Ethernet gateways.

So you will have to buy some additional hardware, even though the PC adapter USB is not very expensive. But the expense is not so bad if you consider that you probably have to support old S7 PLCs for a decade or so, and that XP laptop may not last that long. And with all your legacy software in a VM you will always have it with you, and without having to lug an old clunky laptop along for the "Just in case".

I'm going by memory here - but I THINK that I downloaded the free "Player" - and then downloaded the "Tools" ...

I THINK that adding the tools made the installation show up as "Workstation" - but I could be wrong about that ...

anyway ... the screen shot below shows what I've got now - after licensing ... works great ...

vmware.PNG

Back
Top Bottom