OT: This is what I saw on my ride in to work...

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have seen a lot of (I thought) large boars in California when I lived there but... nothing like this

The small one was above my knee the large was over my waist (I am just over 6ft)

I should the picture to a few guy's here they said it was over a 1,000 LBS, It went from the white line on the side of the road to center line about 10ft long.

The first picture was when I stop and pulled out my phone... the second is blurry as it started to walk toward my car, hence the blur... as I was driving and NOT waiting to get a closer look

pig.jpg

pig1.jpg

The black one looks like it could be someone's former 'pet' pot-bellied pig. I wouldn't hang around either, might be related to Hogzilla!

They sure look FAT for wild hogs. The wild/feral hogs around these parts are leaner looking. The pale one looks BIG but the leaves he is standing in give the perspective that he's not really 10 feet long. I'm sure he LOOKED 10 feet long when he was ogling you like that.

I once walked up on a black one at night on my way back to the house after checking on a calving cow. Not only did I walk up on her, but I sort of had her cornered. Thank goodness it was right beside a tall board fence that gave me something to hop up onto out of the way. I don't think she was 10 feet long, but it felt like a LOT of pork brushing past my leg on the way by.

A salesman I know was feeding crackers to a huge one he saw beside a little country road. He thought it was amusing to toss the crackers one at a time out the window, drawing the "hogzilla" closer and closer until he could almost count the bristles on his back. Then he ran out of crackers. Before he could blink, the hog CHARGED his company truck and LITERALLY smashed in the door. I saw the damage. I wasn't there when he was trying to explain it to his boss, but I would have LIKED to have been.......

Stationmaster

In the area where I served on my army service we had wild pigs.
The biggest were about the black one size.
They use to cross the road and hit by our cars.Usually the vehicle were badly damaged.
They were really pain in *** for us.
Once I was walking patrol in the mountain , one of this beast cross my way, about 1 meter from me.
He came from no where,I did not heard any thing.
My lucky he was busy on another thing.
Some of us used to hunt them.
They were pretty tasty.
Those pigs might have kind of virus which is very dangerous.
So we had to cook them well done.

m_turk said:
They make a nice couple. :)

LOL....

I'm sure he LOOKED 10 feet long when he was ogling you like that

Ya, I did'nt pull out my tape, maybe 8ft... but damn it was big and got a LOT bigger when it started to walk at me, I do about 70 passed that spot every day... that would hurt

Here's a picture of hogzilla its was just the other side if the state line :unsure:

070501-hogzilla-picture.jpg

GIT,

The big white one loooks like those raised by my neighbor. It could be an American Landrace sow (based on length, white color, flat back instead of arched, and floppy ears) that has escaped and gone wild. They typically run not quite 1000 pounds, but easily could be 800.

http://www.cyberspaceag.com/farmanimals/swine/swinebreeds.htm

In previous times up until about 1940, here in Tennessee, hogs were allowed to graze unconfined, and if you had a garden you had to fence it in. Hogs did very well on their own in the woods, fending off most predators and rearing their young in the wild.

During the last Depression, many wild hogs were killed and eaten, so wild hogs became rare. They have made a come-back just in time to provide food during this Depression!