Panelview 1000e program download.

chorn46562

I am trying to connect to a Panelview 1000e. The only ports it has are an RS232 port and a 3 wire DH+ network connection. I haven't yet tried to cut up one of my cables and connect to the network and I don't want to. LOL. I was just wondering if anyone knows what cable I use to connect. I have tried the 2711-NC13 cable and another whose number now eludes me but have had no success as yet. I contacted our local technical support and they thought I might need a 2706-**** cable but they were for Series F or higher (The panelview states it is series A on the back). If anyone knows what cable or even the right driver to use on RSLinx please let me know. :D

chorn46562,
You didn't state what you are trying to connect the Panelview TO, but if it is a SLC 5/03 or SLC 5/04, or a Personal Computer, then an old manual that I have says to use the 2711-NC13, 2711-NC14, or the 2706-NC13 cable, which is a 9-pin RS232 cable.

Apparetly you have a catalog # 2711-K10C8 or K10G8 (keypad), or a 2711-T10C8 or T10G8 (touchscreen), which have the RS232 port and DH+ connector, but not the RIO port. It also says that you must configure Channel 0 of the SLC 5/03 or /04 for DH485 communications. It says to set the maximum node address of the Panelview by selecting the Communications option on the Configuration Mode menu in the Panelview.

My guess is that your NC13 cable is okay, but you don't yet have your Communications Setup correct.

Last edited:
Well the PanelView has two ports right? One is DH+ and one is RS232. The cable you are supposed to use to plug into the RS232 apparently isn't working. This could be because the RS232 port on the PV has been configured as a printer port instead of an upload/download port.

So, how about the DH+ port? You didn't mention the PLC you were using but if your computer is using DH+ to talk to the PLC/SLC then you should be able to talk to the PV also using the same cable. In fact since your PLC/SLC and your PanelView are networked over the DH+, you actually WANT to plug your computer into the PLC/SLC DH+ port (little round DIN connector).

DH+ is a network so if you plug in at the PLC/SLC you can see anyone on the network, including the PanelView. A physical connection to the PV would not be necessary as long as a physical connection to the network is made.

Hope that helps!!

OG

Last edited:
Operaghost,
That's right! Now that you mention it, I remember an Allen-Bradley salesman sitting in my office years ago and describing exactly what you said, how you can see the Panelview program by using the SLC as a transfer agent. I think he called this the "pass-thru" function. He made a big deal of how great it was, but I had forgotten about it until now. Maybe this is the trick that will get Chorn's Panelview 1000e connected.

Lancie1,

Pass-Thru was usually used to allow you to upload/download to and from the PanelView when it was connected to a Remote I/O network. Since your computer didn't plug into a RIO and it was a hassle to go all the way out to the PanelView just to connect to it, they introduced Pass-Thru.

This allowed you to connect your computer over a network like DH+ and "pass-thru" the PLC/SLC to get to the RIO network.

In Chorn's case, pass-thru would not be necessary. If the computer is on DH+, the PV is on DH+ and the PLC/SLC is on DH+ then they can all communicate with each other without any need for pass-thru. I was just referring to the fact that where I physically connect the computer to the network makes no difference.

Pass-thru was a real big real when you used RIO, but newer style networks don't typically need it.

Think of it this way, if you plug your computer into a hub, you can potentially talk with any device connected to that same hub. But if you plug that hub into another hub, then you can talk to anyone either hub is connected too. Same basic idea.

OG

Panelview Download

Chorn

I have a SLC5/04 connected to a panelview 1000 on DH+. I can communicate with a PC either using a DH+ KT PCMCIA card over the DH+ connector on the SLC or using the RS232 port on the panelview using an NC13 cable. I did have trouble using the panelbuilder internal DF1 driver so I use the RSLinx DF1 driver, configure this in Panelbuilder workstation setup. The trouble with the panelbuilder internal DF1 driver is that it cannot auto configure so you need to know what the RS232 settings are in the panelview. Also if Rslinx is running it may be using your PC com port anyway.
Sorry not the 1000e!

Last edited:
This is chorn

OK. Lots to take in, LOL. Just to clarify I am trying to connect my PC to the panelview. The panelview is connected to a SLC PLC and I can connect to the PLC through the round DIN connector and see the PLC on the network using RSLinx. I cannot however see the Panelview 1000e. The Panelview does have a key switch that I can turn from run to config I don't know if this has any bearing on communicating with it. I can turn the key to config and access some setup. I cannot turn the printer port off. There is only a rs232 connector and the 3 pin DH+ Rio connector no other connections are apparent. I too would've thought I could see the panelview through the network once I connect to the PLC but no go. I will do some more searching on this but if you have some more suggestions let me know. Thanks for the suggestions already too.

Things to try

The RS-232 pinout for connecting the PanelView to a PC is straight-through, 1--1, 2--2, 3--3. I usually use a ribbon cable, since I KNOW the pinouts of that.

Now the Panelview is, I think a 25-pin port, and your PC probably has only a 9-pin port, so you'll need a standard adapter for the conversion (available at any Radio Shack).

Use RSLinx first to do an autoconfig on the DF1 driver to see if you can get communication before trying to use Panelbuilder or the paneelview transfer utility to do the upload.

----

It's odd that you don't see the panelview on the DH+ network when connected through the SLC's DIN port. This is NOT a pass-through port, but just another port on the highway. Use the keyswitch on the Panelview to check the Baud rate settings for the DH+, as well as the DH+ station address. Make sure that RSLinx matches the baud rate, and NOT the station address.