PC as a Profibus Master

imanqush

Hello everyone. I'm really new to automation protocols as the industry I'm working in had been using parallel interface for ages and very conservative in changing to new interface.

Currently, I have to build a test environment using Profibus DP with our control equipment (slave) and a master that is yet to be decide. Is it possible to use a PC as a Master?

From what at I understand, I will be needing a RS485 bus driver and a software /interface for my PC. Is there any software/interface recommendation?

I also have an extra Yokogawa PLC at office but without software and Profibus Module. Buying a software and a module from Yokogawa might be pricier that's why I'm wondering if I can just use my PC as a cheaper alternative.

Any thoughts?

Hello. Although the physical layer of Profibus is RS485, the data link layer of Profibus is realy complex to develop in PC software. Profibus devices use ASICs in between the RS485 driver and the application. In the case of a Windows PC, there are products such as Softing PCI or PCIexpress boards which have a CPU with a Profibus master or Profibus slave firmware, and on the Windows side a driver with application programming interface is provided so it is possible to write an application that initializes the Profibus master and controls the communication with the Profibus slave. A configuration tool is also provided to configure the network. I am based in Yokohama and you seem to be in Tokyo so we seem to be very close. I can loan you a Profibus PCI or PCIexpress board so you can test the board. I can provide you support for this board as well. If you are interested, you can PM me and I will get back to you privately.

Last edited:
This sounds like a new upgrade development project. If so then maybe Profibus isn't the best choice? How about a TCP connection between your PC and a slave device?

Nick

Nick, there are some industrial protocols such as EtherNet/IP and Modbus TCP supported by many industrial filed devices which can be controlled with a personal computer with standard off-the-shelf NIC (network interface cards). But you would need on rthe PC the right software with the proper Ethernet/IP scanner or Modbus TCP client stack and necessary application programming interfaces so you can have a proper control application. After many years in this forum I have read posts from really clever people who can go to a github, download some sample code and build what I describe above in a weekend. That kind os stuff is very much out of my leagues, so I would advise that if you want to control EtherNet/IP or Modbus TCP with a Windows PC that you buy a license of a proper soft PLC application such as Codesys which will set you back some EUR 800 for a run time license but has a superb engineering environment wich great tools to configure the IO, map the IO to the PLC application and develop your application in either structured text language, ladder, function blocks and other things, while allowing you to create really nice operator consoles.

Hello. Although the physical layer of Profibus is RS485, the data link layer of Profibus is realy complex to develop in PC software. Profibus devices use ASICs in between the RS485 driver and the application. In the case of a Windows PC, there are products such as Softing PCI or PCIexpress boards which have a CPU with a Profibus master or Profibus slave firmware, and on the Windows side a driver with application programming interface is provided so it is possible to write an application that initializes the Profibus master and controls the communication with the Profibus slave. A configuration tool is also provided to configure the network. I am based in Yokohama and you seem to be in Tokyo so we seem to be very close. I can loan you a Profibus PCI or PCIexpress board so you can test the board. I can provide you support for this board as well. If you are interested, you can PM me and I will get back to you privately.

Really appreciate your explanation and help!

As expected, connecting to PC is quite complex. I actually done a few research and read some research papers too at the internet about this. But because I don't have any background in communication protocol, all the terms used are hard to understand. :ROFLMAO:

For know, I'm still waiting for our slave Profibus Module from HQ. I'll get back to you once all items are ready.

Thanks again!

This sounds like a new upgrade development project. If so then maybe Profibus isn't the best choice? How about a TCP connection between your PC and a slave device?

Nick

It's more to appeal fiedlbus options to customer for easier connection and much more IO compared to parallel. In order to appeal, we have to do test by our own first and check the reliability.

I also concur with the general recommendation to consider a newer ethernet based protocol rather than Profibus.

Anyway, you are tasked with setting up a test environment for your DP slave device.

If it has to be some in-depth test to certify conformance to Profibus standards, then there are companies that does this, for example:
https://procentec.com/service-support/5-steps-to-get-a-profibus-certificate-for-your-product/
If you have made your DP slave device by a comercially available chipset, then I think the above is probably not necessary.
If you 'only' have to setup a test environment with a DP master and your device, then a PC with a Profibus card and for example an OPC server would be enough.
There are a several vendors for the hardware and software.
Siemens, Softing, Hilscher, Beckhoff ...

I also concur with the general recommendation to consider a newer ethernet based protocol rather than Profibus.

Anyway, you are tasked with setting up a test environment for your DP slave device.

If it has to be some in-depth test to certify conformance to Profibus standards, then there are companies that does this, for example:
https://procentec.com/service-support/5-steps-to-get-a-profibus-certificate-for-your-product/
If you have made your DP slave device by a comercially available chipset, then I think the above is probably not necessary.
If you 'only' have to setup a test environment with a DP master and your device, then a PC with a Profibus card and for example an OPC server would be enough.
There are a several vendors for the hardware and software.
Siemens, Softing, Hilscher, Beckhoff ...

Really appreciate your advice Jasper!

Actually, ethernet connection is also possible for our slave controller. We wil try to make the test with an ethernet after the test with Profibus succeed.

The reason we're trying with Profibus first is because our German HQ has much more track record using Profibus rather than other connections. So it will be much more easier to convince customers

Profibus is approaching obsolescense, and Profinet is made to replace it while reusing some of Profibus aspects.
If the german HQ have been using Profibus DP in the past, then they probably will migrate to Profinet sooner rather than later.