Phasing out of older 1769-L2xx/L3xx CompactLogix controllers

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Topic says it all. We're hunting around for a CompactLogix that works with older RSLogix but wondering how soon (if at all) AB will phase out the older-style CompactLogix controllers (in this case, the 1769-L23E-QB1B). Thanks in advance.

Based on the release notes, there are only a handful of the 1769 series that have firmware updates to V21. Sadly the L23E is not one with support for Studio 5000. With that being said, I would contact AB directly and ask about support for your specific system.

In my opinion it's a false economy to intentionally use older hardware in order to avoid the cost of technical support and software upgrades, but it's your decision.

The original series of "shoebox" 1769-L2x controllers with embedded 1769 series I/O were based on the 1769-L32 controller, so their firmware development progress ends at v20, like the 1769-L32E and 1769-L35E.

The "shoebox" CompactLogix were never a high-volume product like the 1769-L32E and 1769-L35E, and you can get a cheaper CompactLogix from the newer "5370" family like the 1769-L16 or 1769-L24 with embedded I/O and Studio 5000 compatibility today. That sharply reduces demand for the older "shoeboxes".

From what I read on the RA "Silver Series" website, the 1769-L23E-QB1B controller is in "Silver" status, so it's no longer being manufactured. RA expects their existing stock to last for another two years, so the predicted end of availability is June 2016.

By contrast the more popular 1769-L32E and 1769-L35E are still in active production, even though they will not get v21 or v22 firmware.

Last edited:
I remember the days when, if I had the most recent version of RS Logix5, I could connect to any PLC5 processor out there, no matter the firmware version.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix hardly even qualify as product families. They're merely brand names now, applied to a myriad of different equipment that is not always completely compatible.

It's pretty easy to convince a client that the old AB PLC2, GE Series 9070 or Modicon PLC system that they've been running for the past 25 or 30 years has to be upgraded because it's obsolete. It's a much harder sell when you tell them that the ControlLogix and CompactLogix equipment that you replaced that old stuff with just a few years back is now also obsolete.