Plantmetrics

tmoulder

T
Greetings from home PLC people!

We have at last gotten our hands on the long-awaited Plantmetrics data collection package. Our local rep gave us a hand setting up collection on one machine and getting a single report object (OEE box) configured, and my cohort and I are impressed and eager to create a fully-functioning web page detailing the activity of our test machine.

Now, we've been over the RSSQL configuration pretty thoroughly, and I feel pretty good there. What is throwing us is the reporting piece. Here's what I know so far:

When Plantmetrics is installed and pointed at it's database, it creates a host of tables configured to receive data. When you set up the RSSQL transactions, the information gathered is recorded into these data tables. This is why the scheme for collecting the data needs to be uniform - all the information from all the machines goes into the same data tables.

To make a report, you need to configure a report data source. Essentially, this is a query against the data being collected, and concerns some facet of machine performance, like OEE or Part Counts. Next, you configure a report object (graph, chart, text report) which you feel will best present your data to the reader. Lastly, there are filters that allow you to display information relative to machine, part number, operator, what-have-you.

Now, the good news is, there are dozens of default data sources configured in Plantmetrics. Many of these have multiple objects configured into them already. Looking at all the different ways to present our data was very exciting.

The plan was, look up these different database elements, determine which ones fit our needs for this test project, and put together some nice reports for the brass to get this project off the ground. Not simple, surely some work needed, maybe some trial and error, but doable. Except for one thing.

There's no information on these data sources and objects. None. Anywhere I can find it, anyhow. Not in the manual, not in the help files, not in the AB knowledgebase. None, nada, zip. The only indication of what these items can do for us is a name (five words or less) and no clue as to how to put it to use.

Basically, I'm looking for two different helps here:

1. If you know a source for using this software effectively, kindly point it out. I'm happy to do my own homework, if somebody just shows me the book!

2. If you know of no such source, but are familiar with Plantmetrics, I just want to do a few charts on basic OEE items(Availability and Throughput), part count, ands fault events. What sources and objects do you recommend? Something to the effect of "This data source contains information collected on fault events. It is best presented in a pareto bar graph, and may be sorted by machine, part number or operator ID using filters."

Any help is desparately needed and infinitely appreciated.

Thanks!

TM

Yup

Hi Bob,

Yes, I have the guide. In fact, it's downloadable from AB's website as a PDF also.

The guide provides instruction into how to set up a data source, how to cofigure an object, and how to configure a filter. But this information is extremely general.

What I'm looking for is more of an explanation of what the default data sources and objects * do *. What information do these present? How can I best present it? That sort of thing.

I've been told most of what I want is in four data sources: Plantmetrics Event History, Plantmetrics Event Detail, Plantmetrics Workcell History and Plantmetrics Workcell Detail. Now I'd like to know:

1. What is a "Detail"? What does it provide from my collected data?
2. I have several fault categories being collected. Are these being held in Event History, Event Detail, or both? I can't seem to find them, which leaves me wondering if I'm collecting the data properly. Is nothing there, or am I just not looking under the correct rock?

I know these could be answered by attending the training class. What bugs me is, I think of taking training to become a "power user". I should be able to get enough from the accompanying documentation to produce a single small project for one machine. And there is no documentation on these subjects!

Help!

TM

TM,

I haven’t used PlantMetrics myself but my rep has come in and I have seen a demo about 2 years ago but that’s the extent of what I know. I just search and found the manual that I asked about assuming you already had it, but you never know. I tried calling my rep. and another factory rep. from KC but couldn’t reach anyone. If you like I will try again on Friday.

Thanks,
Bob O.

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I appreciate the effort. I'm making some headway on this through trial and error, and also learning a bit about the IT side of the system, so all is not lost.

We've got a pretty good software rep here, but he freely admits it's been a lont time since he worked with Plantmetrics software, and the reports were never his strong suit. I was hoping to find some kind of reference manual floating around somewhere, and was really suprised I didn't.

I now have an additional goal in life: master this software, write "Plantmetrics for Dummies", become rich and retire to Cancun.

Funny how all my goals in life conclude with "become rich and retire to Cancun."

Thanks again,

TM

Got it going now

Hi everybody!

Thanks to all of you for your help and assistance. I'm pleased to report, I've now got 5 report objects configured for my first machine and am moving on to the second machine now.

Ron, it never occurred to me to check the RSSQL pages for help with Plantmetrics, but given that PM is mainly a front-end setup tool for RSSQL, it made perfect sense.

Bob, I appreciate your offers of contact with the vendor. Thanks for listening and responding to my panic attack.

In the end, what saved me was the process of asking for help. I posted my first message, then re-read it about 5 times, and then I realized I'd answered my own question. By explaining how I thought the elements of the database worked together, I'd deduced, er, how they work together. Ah, the joys of satori (that's japanese - I read too much manga).

Additionally, I found in the help file the description of the two main data sources I was after, workcell and event history. However, they were not easy to find or located in a good spot on the help "tree", so I'll only consign myself to eating a single wing, not the whole crow.

So I'm off to a roaring start here, and I'll say it again - this Plantmetrics software blows me away. I've duplicated all the reports I used in my early Excel-based experiments with features I could never have managed using simple scripts and macros. Shoot, the time-based reporting feature still makes me giddy every time I use it.

Once we get the training, there's going to be no stopping us.

In conclusion, all is well, and I still give Plantmetrics my highest recommendation, with a minor exclusion for vague help files.

Thanks again!

TM