plc backups

Tom W

Hi, I am new to posting on this site. I hope I have not overlooked a post on this subject.

My question deals with creating backups of the Allen-Bradley plc programs on all machines in our factory. Doing this manually is quite time consuming. Are there any available programs or software that will do this automatically? I have looked at trying to create my own visual basic application for this, but have limited experience with VB. I have also looked on Allen-Bradley’s website and was overloaded with information. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

There is a program / server package called MASS Autosave that will do just what you are looking for and more, such as archiving, keeping revisions, access control. It can be pricy depending on the different amounts of software used, but does a great job of backing up and archiving PLC and HMI software. MDT software is the developer.

I place high value on having a program with all project documentation included in the backup, it helps with trouble-shooting. Frequent backups are good as well but I would occasionally save a copy with full documentation. This is done with a merge at backup or post backup with database export/import.