PLC Characteristics

504bloke said:
however its not being handed on a plate and you may have to dig a little!

If you cant see some of this then you are not looking hard enough or for long enough.

I don`t intend to get the answer on a plate, i have been looking hard enough under data acqusition.

Dave1971 said:
Okay here goes. Describe the operational characteristics of a PLC in terms of:

Scanning
Performing Logic Operations
Continuous Updating
Mass I/O Copying.

Do you understand what the question is asking ?

Can you rewrite the question to make answering it easier ?

What do you expect to find? Do you think you can type in the text of your homework questions and find the answers? There is ample material in this site's tutorial and the freestudy site on the meaning of 'scan' in the context of a PLC and the mechanics of how scanning is done. However, you will have to read the material and draw conclusions from what you've read.

It appears that you are working through an HNC unit. The freestudy site closely follows that curriculum. The HNC curriculum has a tendency to use terminology that nobody in the real world uses, so you will have exert some effort to decipher the questions.

Steve Bailey said:
It appears that you are working through an HNC unit. The freestudy site closely follows that curriculum. The HNC curriculum has a tendency to use terminology that nobody in the real world uses, so you will have exert some effort to decipher the questions.

Dude you have hit the nail on the head, am not use to these terminology on this subject.

I will be getting a book on PLC`s through the post soon hope fully the wording will be different and maybe easier to under stand.

aDAve, I'm not sure what color silver you want the platter to be, but since there is a section entitled "How a ladder is scanned" I don't understand your failure to find "not a sausage" in the link http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml

Note that a technical education is as much about thought processes and problem solving techniques as it is about information. You have to learn to draw conclusions and make logical deductions from information not directly answering the problems you are trying to solve. It is rare to find exactly the answer to exactly the question you have phrased in exactly the same manner as the asking!

Finally, is the text for the course totally silent on all of the subjects in your initial inquiry?

(Edit - Wow - many of us are giving the same answer almost simultaneously. Is it a matter of great minds thinking alike, or are we all travelling in the same rut?)

Last edited:
Don`t worry about it dude.

Tom Jenkins said:
aDAve, I'm not sure what color silver you want the platter to be, but since there is a section entitled "How a ladder is scanned" I don't understand your failure to find "not a sausage" in the link http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml

Note that a technical education is as much about thought processes and problem solving techniques as it is about information. You have to learn to draw conclusions and make logical deductions from information not directly answering the problems you are trying to solve. It is rare to find exactly the answer to exactly the question you have phrased in exactly the same manner as the asking!

Finally, is the text for the course totally silent on all of the subjects in your initial inquiry?

(Edit - Wow - many of us are giving the same answer almost simultaneously. Is it a matter of great minds thinking alike, or are we all travelling in the same rut?)