PLC Communication For HHM

plcwan2b

My first PLC was a Modicon 584 back in the late 80's. Ladder logic was no problem to utilize. I built a pc pased hmi on a 386 using fortran and assembly. I t was a simple.
1. you opened the serial port as you would a file.
2. you would write a connect string to se commnication parms.
3. if parm set with no problem you write a request string (modbus) for data from the plc.
4 you would read port with a buffer large enough to accomidate data requested.
5. if no errors, I had a snapshot of PLC data in the 386 that I could do anything I wanted to with.

Now I am involved Allen bradley. Once again ladder logic no problem, but HMI is. I have searched and searched for AB data that would give me simular data request protocolls, can't find them. AB says that I must use RSlinx to communicate between plc and pc. Ok. I have researched RSlinx and found the tech. info convoluted, terse and unhelp full.

What I would like to find is an accurate, concise explaination for RSlinx and how it it fits into the context of plc communication.

Does any one know where I can get such info. I would appreciate if someone could help me.đź“š:rolleyes:

Things change.... Anyway more detail is needed...You will probably be happy to find that things are a bit easier than you Modacon days... List what HMI you are using and what PLC...

If you can get your local AB Tech support to come see you that would be even better. You will probably find that after a few minutes with him you are ready to go...