PLC Data Display and Logging on iPad

AdrianC

Hello everyone, first post on the forum.

I have a client asking for some method of viewing and saving PLC data via an iPad at various factory sites. I wondered if anyone had come across a solution.

Here's his requirements:

1: Get information from field devices (through PLC) based on desired frequency….which is activated on the pad

2: Populate information in a Table format on the pad and Save data on the pad

3: Print Table from the pad to a selected Printer, and Transfer Saved data on pad to a selected Computer.

Ethernet/IP (ControlLogix) and possibly Modbus TCP/IP. The sites have wireless routers connected to the control system networks.

I looked at the Prosoft I-View app but it doesn't seem to have the ability to store PLC data in a file. Otherwise it would be perfect.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prosoft-i-view/id385920646?mt=8

The ideal solution would be a standalone app on the iPad so he doesn't have to pay for changes at every site.

Any ideas?

Adrian.

Does it have to be an iPad? A Windows 8/10 tablet will give you more options at a lower cost. You can find 8" Windows tablets for as low as $100. You can also run an AdvancedHMI application on a Windows tablet as well as run the exact same application on a laptop or a desktop.

They use iPads for other tasks, but you're right, a Windows tablet will be cheaper and it will be much easier to integrate.

I'll run that by them. I'll take a look at AdvancedHMI also. Hadn't come across it before.

Thanks.

You could use the AdvancedHMI at the local sites to save the information into a database. Set up a web server on the same computer. Using ASP code serve the information to the system.
In this case you could use your ipad browser to view the information.

Regards,

I saw that the owner and developer of Sweet Williams was sick and was trying to find another company to take over the product.

We've proposed a Windows tablet solution, with the tablet running WonderWare Intouch and writing data to a csv file (crude, but it's what they want). They are thinking about it...

Thanks for all the replies. This site is a great resource.