PLC & Touchscreen

KHD2000

hey guys

I'am looking for an easy software to control the plc via a touchscreen I hope you can help me

You will need to be a little more forthcoming with information.

What are the requirements for your application? What does your PLC need to do?

What type and size touch screen will you require - color or monochrome?

The answers to these questions will determine what products are suitable for your application.

Thanks Stephen Luft

I have elo touch screen it is 17'' color

I have a plc to run small machine and rather than control box I would like to use the touch screen to run it

The software must have a plc address to use the touch screen as input for the plc. Also I can design by it "like the bank’s machine for example"

ELO touchmonitors are here: http://www.elotouch.com/
These are computer monitors; which means a computer would be needed to provide any software that would allow you to communicate with a plc.

If what you have is a Touchcoumputer: http://www.elotouch.com/Products/Computers/default.asp
There may be several options for what you want and/or need.

As stated earlier, information about what you are trying to do may help in offering solutions.

When you say "small machine", how small? How much IO? You may be better off (and cheaper) with switches, relays, and lights.

Everybody likes screens, me included... but cost vs. real need is a determining factor. I love some of the newer dumb annunciator panels for status. And LED bulbs are guaranteed to outlive any touchscreen. I think... :D

Hello KHD2000;

On one hand you have a S7-300 PLC.
On the other, you have some sort of ELO touchscreen.
You would like to interface both.
Is this correct?

The S7-300 PLC does not generate by itself a video signal for a screen.
The old S5 platform had on some systems a video signal generator card for SCADA applications, but these were abandonned after the coming of age of the PC platforms.
If this touchscreen has an embedded computer that can run a HMI or SCADA package (Siemens' WinCC flexible, or WinCC, Citect, Wonderware, InTouch, IFix, and many others that have drivers or OPC connections for the S7-300 platform over Profibus, Ethernet or serial links), then you can buy and install them on the on board computer.
If the touchscreen does not have an embedded computer, you will need to connect it to a PC station (the screen expects a video input from a computer) and install the SCADA/HMI package of your choice on the PC, along with the communication driver or OPC server for the S7-300 platform.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hello KHD2000.

You have much work to do, and a quite a bit of money to spend, before you can control your machine from the touch screen.
You need a PC, some comms hardware, and a HMI/SCADA runtime that must run a HMI application that someone must develop (you, or maybe someone else). There a several HMI/SCADA solutions, but they all cost a significant amount of money.

A somewhat simpler solution is to buy a dedicated touch panel that will talk directly with an S7-300. But then you have to ditch the ELO touch panel.

We can guide you more, if you tell us more details and also in what direction you will go. Also, do you have any experience with PLCs at all ?

By the way, what did the ELO 17" touchscreen cost you ?

thanks guys for your help

In fact I have no idea about interfaceing the plc with the touch screen but my teacher still bushing me to use the touch screen as a controler for our project. I have a good experience with PLC but when I saw you guys talking about HMI/SCADA software there is a big question mark above my head. Thanks anyway guys :)

JesperMP the elo cost us around 700 $