Powerflex 525 - Motor doesn't start during direction test

tetcie

Hi All,

I have been asked to commission two new Powerflex 525 vfds on site which I've never done before and I've ran into a problem which I'm unsure how to troubleshoot.

I am going through the startup wizard in Studio 5000, I get to the direction test, press start - the pop up comes up to say the parameter 47 needs changing to 15 (Ethernet/IP), press yes, and then nothing happens, the motor doesn't turn on - the status just stays "Stopped". This happens on both VFDs.

We have other Powerflex 525s on site which work fine (commissioned before I started) and when I compare the parameters and wiring they are all the same.

Has anybody seen this problem before? Or does anybody have any ideas of what I want I should look at next to troubleshoot?

You need to set both P46 and P47 to the default so that you can use the start button on the front of the VFD.

I have always found it better to do all your start up tests and autotunes before setting up how it is controlled, that way you can use the buttons on the from of the PF525.

Last edited:
If you have an ethernet cable installed on pf525. To get it to work on faceplate either inhibit the drive on the io config tree or unplug ethernet cable. It will give you a fault that might clear or not but if it does not clear from pushing the stop button just power cycle it. then use faceplate.

You need to set both P46 and P47 to the default so that you can use the start button on the front of the VFD.

I have always found it better to do all your start up tests and autotunes before setting up how it is controlled, that way you can use the buttons on the from of the PF525.

Ah so if I set it to default, press the start button on the front, then go back and do the startup wizard in the software that should work? I’ll test that when I’m back on site tomorrow.