Problems with stretch wrap

mister wiggle

Hi!

I'm currently working on an automated warehouse that handles pallets. Our biggest current headache is bogus faults due to stretch wrap blocking overhang sensors on monorail, conveyor, cranes, etc. Does anyone know of a product that can "see through" stretch wrap? I'm looking at ultrasonic sensors, as I know they can see through water and splashing liquid, so it might be nice to see if they can see through stretch wrap as well.

Thanks in advance!

Every major sensor company has these eyes--I know the AB Series 9000 has an eye like that. I've used them before and as long as there's no external light source aimed at the eye, it performed well.

I have a lot of Production and Maintenance Managers that believe that problems can be solved later in the process by using "special" means. They put a lot of effort into coming up with these creative solutions. It usually involves some sort of complicated mechanical means to correct a control issue.

I ask, "Where is the problem occurring?"

They usually point to some part of the process and say, "Right there."

I then say, "I'm not asking where the problem is noticed... I'm asking where the problem occurs."

They say, "Oh..." and then they take me farther up the line to where the problem occurs.

I say, "This is where the problem needs to be fixed... not down there. The problem should be prevented... not corrected, or handled, after the fact."

I have three suggestions, mister wiggle...

1. Check your wrapper-plastic... does it have the proper "cling-factor"?

2. Check the wrapper. Does it apply a roller to the plastic as the pallet is being wrapped? Is the roller being pulled away right after the cut and before rolling over the bitter-end? If you sit there and watch the operation for a while I'm sure you will see why the problem is occurring.

3. Please consider changing your "name"... it's just too weird. I feel like I have to go wash-up now.

There is inside cling, there is outside cling and of course cling-cling :)

Seems like you have a "hanging tail" problem. Will this get censured?

Anyway, if you have acces to the wrapper, fix it like Terry just mentionned.

If those pallets where delivered to your plant, then the trip they tooke in the trucks could not be handled by them cheap Wrappers. The End Tail Attachment device is just not suited to go 60 m/hre on a flat bed. Soooorryyy! Your ****ed.

Any device that can see through a plastic film has the inherent assumption that the film is not wrinkled. Its straight.

Hanging tail is the problem of the century. Maybee what them pallets need is a little blue pill :)

Best is to re-arrange the logic.

Intead of detecting the leading of trailing edges of the pallet, detect there base with a prox.

Thinck outside the pallet ... or is it the box?

I agree with the fix the wrapper suggestion. Not only is it what I believe to make the most sense, but you don't want the trailing pieces of stretch wrap getting into roller conveyrs, forklift wheels, etc.

I agree with the fix the wrapper suggestion. Not only is it what I believe to make the most sense, but you don't want the trailing pieces of stretch wrap getting into roller conveyrs, forklift wheels, etc.

Definately the first place to look.

However, if you REALLY require a sensor that can see through the film at the end of the day, I would normally try to use a through beam infra red photo electric. There are low powered models, medium and high powered models.

You had better be sure because some of these things can punch through some fairly thick materials over quite a long distance.

It is amazing how many times over the years I have been asked to find a "cure" electrically/electronically for mechanical problems/faults.