Purchasing Software + Tech Connect Contract

Bering C Sparky

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was hoping to purchase a tech connect contract to get access to some of the things I cannot do or see without one.

I just called and asked a few questions and this is what I was told.

For just under $700 I could get a tech connect contract that would basically allow me to see everything on the knowledge base. ONLY
I would not be elegable for downloads/updates to software because I personally dont own the software. (The company I work for does)

For $1030 I could get the same as above and 6-8 phone sessions for questions and trouble shooting.

When I asked "Well can I purchase the software as an individual so I could get access to downloads/updates".
I was basically told NO, and that I would need to be a corporation with a commercial address.

They were more than willing to take my $700 bucks so I can look at some documents online, but not willing to sell me the software.

Does this sound right to you guys??

There are lots of people on this forum, is everyone here a corporation with a commercial address?

For what ever reason the company I work for refuses to purchase the tech connect contract.

We just received a new piece of equipment and the PLC and HMI are both programed in newer versions than I have on my company laptop, so essentally I am locked out of these. (I know not my problem, but still S*%KS)

I have no problem spending the money for the software, as I have always planned to purchase my own one day anyway. Just thought it was odd that Rockwell would not even sell it to me.
I disolved my corporation that I had for my contracting business when I started working where I am now and I dont live at a commercial address, and to be honest dont like the idea of linking anything I would buy personally to the company I work for address.

BCS

That doesn't sound right. If you have the money to buy the software then techconnect should be an option regardless. Certainly there are single person consultants in the world. I have one of those but he has a corporate name so that doesn't help my argument.

That doesn't sound right. If you have the money to buy the software then techconnect should be an option regardless. Certainly there are single person consultants in the world. I have one of those but he has a corporate name so that doesn't help my argument.

Seems odd to me, I need to incorperate and purchase some commercial property to buy some software??

I was told corporate name is not enough, address must varify as commercial.

I wouldnt say the person I talked to was rude or not helpfull but I would say that he was very "matter of fact" about it.

I guess I need to talk to my corporate office again on this, I try every year but it falls on deaf ears.

BCS

I would contact my rep, and will if you like, but I'll bet someone else here will be able to address this before my rep would answer.
Be sure to write down the name of the person that told you this, they might need to get educated.

For what ever reason the company I work for refuses to purchase the tech connect contract.

Tell them I said they're an idiot.

My company avoided the cost of tech connect contracts for years, until it came to the crunch and we realised that for the amount of Rockwell gear we were supporting, we just couldn't avoid it any more. I immediately wished I'd pushed harder to get it earlier.

We have 8-5 unlimited phone support, and the amount of time that support has saved me alone has paid for the annual subscription. Let alone how easy it is to have access to software updates and downloads without having to pay for it or order discs. Access to the full knowledge base has helped me more times than I can count.

If you plant has a lot of Rockwell PLC's - which it sounds like they do - then it's unequivocally worth getting the support contract. Ask them to work out the equivalent cost of the contract in hours of paying your wage. Because you could easily save yourself 50-100 hours a year by having quick access to tech support and the right software at the right time.

Dont go through any trouble at this point.

I am going to go to my higher ups next week when they all come back from the holiday all fat and hung-over and see if I can catch them in a good mood.

Going to try one more time and see if I can get them to foot the bill for this.
If not maybe I can get them to get the tech connect in my name through the corporation and just take it out of my check in 12 installments like they do my insurance. That way I think I could also get access to any program updates for software on my company laptop.
(not sure how that works, I wasnt able to get that far with the NC Automation Guy)

(Dont think I need the phone support part, I got you guys for Tech Support!!!!:site: But access to the Knowledge base would be nice to have)

Is each tech connect contract in a certain persons name, or just assigned to a company as a whole? If it is in a certain persons name how can they verify who they are talking to on a telephone?
I know the guy did tell me that price depended on the # of people.
We have 1000 people working for us but I am the only one that works directly for this company that messes with the PLC's.

The next time you happen to talk to your rep if you want to ask him hypothetically if an individual can purchase software and see what he says, that would be great.

I dont have the guys name I spoke with as I was transfered at least 1/2 dozen times before I could get more than 1 sentence out of my mouth without hearing "hold on I will transfer you"

Maybe everyone is just in a big rush today to get off work for the holiday, who knows. I could not blame them for that, if I could I would run off of here like my hair was on fire also!

On the bright side, I was told the PLC program on the new equipment was done in version 21. But I just fired it up and was able to upload the progam with version 20. :D

Still have to try the HMI, was told it is Ver.7 and I only have Ver.6, so fingers crossed.

Have a Happy Turkey Day Everyone
BCS

ASF,
I let you tell them yourself. Copied your post and sent it to them via email!!!

(Just kidding)(But that would be a good one, will think on that)

I dont get it either but that is certainly not the dumbest thing they have ever done a regular basis, so go figure.

As far as my salary, there are only a couple months out of the year that they are actually paying me an hourly wage.
The rest of the time I am on Crew Share. (% of catch) So I make that same $$ if I have to work my A$$ off or if I just sit in a chair and check out the forum all day. So this is little concern to them.

I know what you are saying though and agree whole heartedly.
But what can I do, I am a small fish in a big pond.

The other boats have no-one aboard that can even attempt to log onto a plc much less program anything.
So I think the company sees it as Non-issue. "If the other boats dont need it, then why do you"
The fact that I have taken the initiative to try and learn means very little to corporate most of the time.

But I make changes to the PLC's on this vessel all the time and tweek and add things as needed, and this shows in our production numbers.
So my crew does see the value in having someone aboard that can do this, right here, right now, when needed.

Not to mention when the clunky old PLC5 decides "I think I will crash now" Ha, there eyes get as big as saucers.
If I am here no problem, but it did happen a year ago and I was not here. Man they seen the value then, but once it was up and running again, well, all was forgoten once more.

The other vessels get support via remote from a company out of Denmark, and when that is not possible (which is not often, but has happened) then they will skiff me over to try and fix it. (if I am here)
Any thing we have that is not on ethernet is not supported remotely, so there support via internet policy is very flawed.
Not to mention at times the Sat-Link connections move very SLOOOOW!!

I know you dont celebrate T-day but have a good one anyway.

BCS