pv1000 colour connected to a PLC5/40

bherlihy

hi all, 1st thanks for your time reading this i am a newbe to AB stuff so any help would be great

my issue i have a PLC 5/40 in a 12 slot chassis 1771-A3B currently just using 3 cards a 1771-IBD (16 ch input card) and two 1771-OBD/B (16 ch output cards), i have it connected to my PV1000 colour (90% sure its not a PV+ as im using PB32 to program it) connected via a RIO cable and i have a few test programs working on it grand, just turning on outputs from the screen to the card in slot 1 to run a motor. using input i:020/06 (a touchscreen button)and coded in the plc to activate said IO's

My question how can i take an input and display it on the screen as an indicator i have stripped tyhe entire thing down to just one indicator to take an input from the card in slot 0 port 17 (as in the last port hex addressing) but i keep getting the following errror

error (9075) - [Tag:eor] tag dose not have a valid address in the terminals assigned discrete rack or block transfer channels

now i know nothing about block transfer and was hoping to stay away from it if possiable but if i have to so be it, is there a was to display the input on the screen as it is tripped/toggled.

im sorry if its just me doing something reall stipid or more to the point not doing something that i should be doing.

ok thanks for your input i have stripped it down to the bare minium, what im looking for is when input I:000/17 changes the the EOR indicator on the PV1000 (2711-t10c1L1 ser c) will be green when 1 and red when 0.

i am thring to get BTW working just my head is fried now with this, below is a copy of the code now its not much this is so i can see how its done and can adapt it to the rest of the code, the plc is basicly empty except for the config stuff, and a very basic screen,

any help at all is much appricated

i just cant seem to get my head around how BTW is ment to work using int files and such.

In your tag "eor", you have a typo.

It should be N7:5/0 (or any bit address within your range of N7:5 through N7:69) instead of N:7/5.

You could also use one of the discrete transfer output bits and avoid block transfers altogether.

If your application needs more than one logical rack of data in total, then you'll need some block transfers anyway though (most RIO applications end up needing them...)

Right now, you are configured for 1/4 logical rack by the way.

Hope this gets ya going!
Paul

thanks man, eh i think ill need approx 16 would i need to use block transfer for that ?

ill start playing with the BTW now i know i have a typo ;)

thanks man, eh i think ill need approx 16 would i need to use block transfer for that ?

ill start playing with the BTW now i know i have a typo ;)

16 what? words? bits?

If only sixteen bits, then you could eliminate block transfers...

Normally, I try to use the discrete bits for things like indicator lights and pushbuttons, and use block transfers for integers and other types of values used for display and data entry objects.

Paul

sorry only 16 bits, i couldnt address it dirrectly i was trying i:000/17 but its was giving me error i posted error (9075)

how would i go about using just discrete transfer for the inputs to the screen indicators

Last edited:
You should read up on the addressing format of the PLC5 and get a good understanding of that while you're doing this project. The PLC5 uses octal for I/O addressing...

Your PV app is rack 2 and two logical groups, so all of the discrete bits will be:

Inputs (from the PV to the PLC):
(I:020/0 through I:020/7 are reserved for block transfer pass through control)
So that leaves you with I:020/10 through I:020/17 (8 bits),
and I:021/0 through I:021/17 (16 bits)

Outputs (to the PV from the PLC):
(O:020/0 through O:020/7 are reserved for block transfer pass through control)
So that leaves you with O:020/10 through O:020/17 (8 bits),
and O:021/0 through O:021/17 (16 bits)

So, with 1/4 rack you get 24 input bits and 24 output bits.

Note the octal addressing. There is no bit 8 or 9. After bit 7, you roll over and cary a one and get bits 10 through 17.

If you check off the tick boxes in your communication setup to use all four groups, you'll gain another 48 bits each way.

Sidenote: The first byte being reserved for passthrough allows you to download or upload the panelview program while connected to the PLC-5, but only if you check the box to enable that feature on the bottom of your Block Transfer setup screen. I have used that feature quite a few times without any problems, but I knew one reputable integrator who claimed he wiped out a PLC program using pass through.

Study up on PLC 5 addressing when you get the chance. It can be confusing at first, but once you understand logical racks, groups, and slots, how the addressing is written, you will be glad you spent the time learning.

Paul

Last edited:
thanks so much man, i was pulling my hair out here trying to get it, ill try that now,ill also up it to a full rack so ill have the room for more inputs if i need them.

thanks again for all the input man

just tried it there and its working thank you again so so much it was killing me

Last edited: