PV1500+ and Logix5561 messaging,

I have a PV1500+ and Logix5561 talking to each other via Ethernet. I'm trying to find decent examples to how to set up communications between the panel and the PLC (even something as simple as using a pushbutton to trigger an output).

Can anyone point me to some decent exmaples online? I've looked through helpfiles and guides, but not a lot going on there.

I don't know if you'll find too many examples that you're looking for...

Where are you falling off the bus?

You say they are talking - have you set up a shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise?

Are you looking for help with Tag Connections and syntax?

Once the shortcut is defined you can directly reference PLC tags for manipulation / annunciation.

PErhaps "talking" is a bit generous. I should say that from within FTV-SE, I can see the LogixController through the communications path when I browse.

What I'm really after would be "best practices". Would it make the most sense to set up a Controller tag on the ControlLogix, and then have the Panelview access that tag directly?

Thanks,

Like SINC GREEN sayed there's no messaging to set up in the PLC. You have to set up RSLINX enterprise in Factory Talk View, once the sortcut is made (pointing to your PLC), you can use direct addressing.

Well, I got the short cut set up, so now from within FTView-SE I can see the identities of all of the devices attached to the PLC.

Now, I have an A/C output module. I have assigned that module's "tag" to the VALUE communication property of a Maintained Push button. No complaints from RS or FTV so far.

After that, I compile a MER file and download it. When the controller reboots, I immediately see the error, "The Item is not longer available [Controller1]Local13:O.data". Against any hope, I push the button on the screen anyway, but that fails with the message "Problem writing '0' to [Controller1]Local13:O.data"

Any ideas? I get the feeling I'm close, just kind of lost.

Last edited:
Once you have the shortcut to the processor configured in RSLinx Enterprise (In FTView Studio) you should be able to browse directly to all of the tags in the processor, assuming that you have a processor powered up and connected to the network. If you do not have a processor available during development, there is an option in FTView Studio to point to your logix program and browse the tags 'offline'.

There are two different tabs in the shortcut configuration in RSLinx Enterprise, a local and runtime i believe. The local tab is for tag browsing and for FTViews 'test run' function. The runtime tab is used when the application is downloaded to the PV+. In most cases these two tabs should be configured the same. I think there is an option to copy the local settings to the runtime settings, so you only have to setup the link once.

I think either Gravedigger or Blamb have it.

I've never tried to directly control an Output with PV+ over ethernet, and would not be surprised if there were some complications.

In any case, it would behoove you to create a contiguous block of data (i.e. an array of DINTs) to "communicate" with your panelview, for ease of troubleshooting, programming, and to speed up your ethernet comms if that matters. Once you've done that, you can try to control your output with the specific element in your panelview array with a rung of logic.

Try making an array in CLX called Panelview[64]. Assign the tag [Controller]Panelview[0].0 to your button, then drive your local output with XIC Panelview[0].0.

If the same problem, make sure your Runtime comms match your Development comms like Blamb says so that the shortcut exists in your MER file.

Last edited:
Even you didnot get set up done. Still can configure RSLinx Enterprise and use offline ACD file to access the Tags.

I know I keep saying this, but once again, "Thanks, Guys!" every little bit of info gets me closer to my simplistic goals. Using all the info I've found in this thread I finally can get my PV to control an output...small, small potatoes for most of you I'm sure, but it feels nice to finally get something to run like I want it!

Last edited:
Kingsley, If you are only having problems at runtime, make sure you have good comm paths for both the offline( development ) environment and the runtime environment.