quad seven segment display. URGENT!!

kevo

hi,

im using the program flowcode to make a counter on a quad seven segment display. i need to know how to affect the second digit(the tens) when the first is goes over 9. all the program has to do is count for how long a switch is pressed and display that on the display. ive managed to find a macro for counting but it only effects the first digit and resets(a nine second counter isnt really that useful!!!).

thank you to all that reply

Make four separate copies.

Connect your switch to the first unit.

When that unit resets, feed a copy of the reset to the second unit.
Each reset should increment the following digit.

When the second digit resets, feed a copy of the reset signal to the third unit.

Feed the third reset signal to the fourth unit.

Terry

Last edited:
Terry Woods said:
Make four separate copies.

Connect your switch to the first unit.

When that unit resets, feed a copy of the reset to the second unit.
Each reset should increment the following digit.

When the second digit resets, feed a copy of the reset signal to the third unit.

Feed the third reset signal to the fourth unit.

Terry
hi,

thanks for your post terry, but that doesnt help. you see its more the programming that im struggling with than the physical aspect(as the board is already made). have you used flowcode before?
with delays,loops, macros,calculations,inputs, outputs etc?

its a bog standard 16F84 chip on a multiprogrammer board. theres no problem of transferring the program at this stage.
when you say reset i dont know what you mean because it resets itself automatically. ive done a variable called count=count+1 and a macro called showdigit with a 1 second delay. the only problem is if i right another one for the 10s its on the same line so it does it after so doesnt work.

Kevo...

I'm not familiar with the hardware or the software... but the concept should be pretty straight forward.

I see a Timer controlled by an input (the button). I'm assuming that the timer is a 1-second timer.

I see a separate piece of code (counter) for each digit-driver.

I should expect that all four digits are reset to "0" when the button is first pressed. (Unless you use some other method to reset the display.)

When the 1-second timer timesout it sends a pulse to the first counter. At the same time the timer resets to "0" and continues running as long as the button is pressed.

It sounds like you have this part down... at least in terms of the first digit. Since you see the first digit going from 0 to 9 repeatedly, the first digit is behaving as required.

However, when the first digit rolls over from 9 to 0 there should be indication of some sort from the first counter that the roll-over occurred.

I believe that you need to find that indication and use it as a pulse to increment the second counter.

It takes 10 cycles of 0 to 9 in the first digit to cause the second digit to roll over.

It takes 10 cycles of 0 to 9 in the second digit to cause the third digit to roll over.

It takes 10 cycles of 0 to 9 in the third digit to cause the fourth digit to roll over.

Everytime a counter rolls over, it causes the following counter to increment by 1.

Now, that is the concept... but you are going to have to find out how your software works. I couldn't find a copy of the users manual.

16F84 is a Microprocessor, not a PLC

This question is for Microchip PIC Microprocessors, not PLC's. Questions should go to the Piclist.
However, I know a little about PIC's. I downloaded the Flowcode demo. The answer to your question is in the examples (Tutorials).
Look at Tut_20.fcf for an example of exactly what you want with a 16F84 and a Quad LED display.