Question about Test Outputs on a 1734-IB8S Saftey I/O

wine_sparky

My question is regarding the number of Test outputs vs the number of inputs in a module.

In the case of a 1734-IB8S card, there are 4 test outputs and 8 inputs. Does this mean, for pulsed testing, I can only use 4 of the 8 inputs? Or is there a configuration that allows for the usage of all 8 inputs as pulse tested safety inputs?

That is a great question, which bit me recently when a supplier misunderstood the module.

I like to think of the IB8S as "Four Plus More": you can plan to use four inputs for common dual-channel purposes, and then can use the other four for single-channel stuff like Reset buttons or external device feedback monitoring from safety contactor pairs.

The 1734-IB8S has just four power supply outputs; T0, T1M, T2, T3M.

The "M" means that 1 and 3 can be used in Muting applications. Otherwise you can set a test point up for dumb "Power Supply" mode, for "Safety" mode and for "Safety Pulse Test" mode.

Using T0 and T1M with a pair of Inputs in two-channel mode gets you one 2-channel safety device, like an e-stop. Use T2 and T3M for another, and you have used up all four test point outputs, but only four safety inputs. To make use of the other four safety inputs you could only do single-channel functions that can use straight 24V supplies and not pulse testing or short-circuit detection.

I think the most efficient use of a 1734-IB8S might be for Two-Hand pushbutton assemblies. Each test point serves one physical button with two complementary safety inputs (one NO, one NC), so you end up using 2 safety outputs and 4 safety inputs for each Two-Hand device. That means you can support two of those assemblies per 1734-IB8S module, and all of the I/O points have a role.

That's interesting....I'm looking at an application where I had thought to use these but this changes the IO density and may change my plans. Can you not use the same test outputs for multiple dual-channel inputs? For example, the Keyence GC-1000 safety controller has 4 test outputs and 16 safety inputs. You would use (for example) T0 and T1 for some of the input pairs and T2 and T3 for others. In other words, T0 can supply pulses for more than one input device. Is that not allowed with the 1734-IB8S?

With the 1734-IB8S you can assign any output defined as a pulse test output to any input defined as safety pulse test. Each IB8S will have terminal access to two copies of each test output. So logistically is becomes a little more challenging if you use a pulse test output more than twice. And, truth be told, I have never tried to assign a given pulse test output to more than two inputs. The system may yell at me for that.

For any given dual channel input I will always assign different pulse test outputs to each channel. But I will re-use a given pulse test output on other dual channel safety inputs.

Keith

In broad terms, you can use one test pulse to feed as many safety inputs as you want. There's no rules against it, and no reduction in safety rating (unless you assign both channels of one dual-channel safety input device to the same test pulse, in which case your diagnostic coverage is reduced because you can no longer detect cross shorts between channels).

With regard to 1734-IB8S modules specifically, it's open slather. You can assign the same test pulse to every safety input, if you choose, with the caveat above about reduced diagnostic coverage. Typically, with these modules, I assign test pulse 0 to all even-numbered inputs, and test pulse 1 to all odd-numbered inputs. This makes testing and faultfinding in the field without drawings straightforward, with the small trade-off that a fault on one test pulse will take out all four of your dual-channel safety devices. This is often not so much of a problem because if you take out one e/stop, 99% of the time the system is dead in the water anyway and taking out three more won't have any additional effects. If it IS a problem, e.g. with zoned guard switches rather than e/stops, you can use T2 and T3 as well, and then a single test pulse fault only takes out two devices, which if arranged carefully can mitigate the effects fairly well.

The 5069-IB8S safety module, on the other hand, has some restrictions. You still get four test pulses and 8 safety inputs, but it will only allow you to assign each test pulse to a maximum of two inputs. So, in that case, I'm forced to engage all four test pulses to utilise all 8 inputs, and again a single test pulse fault will take out two devices.

The 1756-IB16S is even further locked down. It has 8 test pulse outputs and 16 safety inputs, and each test pulse is permanently assigned to two specific safety inputs and cannot be changed. T0 must be used for i0 and i8, T1 must be used for i1 and i9, and so on. So when using this module, you have no choice but to use the approach above (extrapolated from 8 to 16 inputs), and there's no way to avoid the fact that a fault on one test pulse will take out two safety devices. Careful assignment of safety devices to safety inputs is your only mitigation strategy.

Of course, there's also the consideration that not all safety input devices use the test pulses - inherently self-testing devices like light curtains that have OSSD outputs don't use any test pulses, so that's one factor you can leverage to your advantage if you're trying to minimise the ability for any one test pulse fault to take out multiple devices. Using the additional inputs for single-channel inputs like reset buttons or safety contactor feedback loops as Ken suggested above can provide some mitigation, as taking out your reset button doesn't necessarily shut down a machine - but it could prevent you from resetting it while the fault exists, so it's not a complete solution on its own.