Quick panel upload issues

Davinjw

Hey guys,

I've got a customer with quite a few 9" Quick Panel QPI-3 monochrome displays. I'm trying to replace one of them with a spare, and I found the projects on all the old laptops don't match what is in use on the HMI.

What I've tried:

starting with Windows XP VM & Proficy ME 7.0
started with a Radwell HMI-CAB-C49-SUB and a usb to serial adapter. I was able to download to the spare screen before realizing the program wasn't identical, and wasn't able to upload.

took my computer back to the shop with the new screen and figured out I couldn't upload what I had just downloaded (even with store project selected). found some info on these forums that pointed to the PLCCable.com adapter.

purchased the adapter (GPW-CB03a), but also used a VM created from the customers old programming laptop, so I've got access to Quick Builder 3.7, ME 7.0, and now I've installed ME 9.8 on my host computer. ME and quick builder will download to the unit but not upload, and ME 9.8 will not download as it gets part way and says the compiled project is too large for the HMI's memory.

The Quick Designer software gets stuck on “Turn OFF the display device” (no amount of time powered off changes this message)

ME 9.8 "starting upload form quickpanel; com port opened successfully; Error changing baud rate"

ME 7.0 is similiar.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

Davin

I don't have an answer for my original issue, but decided to return to site and attempt an upload from some other screen. before trying others, I sat down at the one I needed the program off of and Quick Manager uploaded the project first try, I installed the new screen and downloaded to the replacement HMI first try.

I don't have an answer what was going wrong, as I loaded up a suspended VM and plugged in my adapter, used the same ports as I had tried last time, and it worked fine.

props to PLCCable for making another good adapter at an extremely fair price!

Your experience with QuickPanels is similar to mine. We used an older version of Quick Designer on WinXP VMs and the original programming cable. It worked....sometimes. I don't remember ever uploading out of the HMI, though. I was usually able to tinker, tweak, and reboot enough to get it to download, though. I think the biggest issue was just the age of the software.