"Real" Serial Port Add-on

WireGuy1950

I would like some comments on adding an Express Card/serial adapter used with a PCMCIA to Express Card adapter.

I have an older Dell Latitude and the built in serial port has failed. I am using a Keyspan usb to serial adapter, but this does not work for all applications.

My thought is to buy an Express Card Serial Adapter and a PCMCIA to Express Card Adapter to use in the Dell until such time as I need to get a new laptop, in which case I can just use the Express Card to Serial Adapter.

Thanks

My thought is to buy an Express Card Serial Adapter and a PCMCIA to Express Card Adapter to use in the Dell until such time as I need to get a new laptop, in which case I can just use the Express Card to Serial Adapter.
Darn things keep falling out of the slot.
I have thrown mine away and gone back to my trusty Omron USB/RS232 converter - it was not cheapo but I have not had a problem with it.
Just about to try an Adam isolated one that does 232/422/485 and is slef powered from the USB port.
If I remember I will report back late next week.

I have thrown mine away and gone back to my trusty Omron USB/RS232 converter - it was not cheapo but I have not had a problem with it.
Just about to try an Adam isolated one that does 232/422/485 and is slef powered from the USB port.
If I remember I will report back late next week.

Hi Bob,

Is that the old blue one with Red/Green LED's? They have given us a new one over here, a white one with blue LED's, I had no end of problems with it, so got a couple from the local electronics/computer store, and for the best part have not had a lot of problems.

I am looking at the PCMCIA option, as from what I have read, it provides a real serial port (COM1/COM2)

Some of the older Omron servo s/w will only allow for this type of port to be used, I have my USB set to COM2, but it did not like it!!

The newer s/w only allows for 1-4, but does recognize the USB device.

Actually it is Mission Brown - evryone painted their fences that colour in the old days.
I have installed the Adam ones successfully but cannot test until onsite next week. They installed as com 3 and com 4. May be worth a try Scott.

WireGuy

What application did the Keyspan not work? I have had very good luck with them

Also why would you need both... the express card and PCMCIA? I have had very good luck also with the PCMCIA cards that I sell and yes they show as a real serial port (once configured)

I have not found any Express cards that have worked for me, yet... I am still trying and looking

I'd be interested to know if anyone is using a PCMCIA serial card that is the least bit durable. The cards we use from Socket Communications function perfectly, but they use these chincy pigtail cords that adapt the DB9 plug to the thin card connection. Sometimes it seems like the weight of the cord is enough to pull the pigtail right out of the card. And we have a few that have gotten damaged just by being bumped while plugged in. I've tried their "ruggedized" version also but it's no better.