Remote Desktop

alive15

Good afternoon all, hope yall are well. Is there any program available which allows me to remote in on a client's laptop, but run the programs on my PC? For example, if client has an Allen Bradley PLC, they can hook up their own laptop, and I can remote into their laptop, however I would need to run RS Logix 500/5000 off of my PC and go online with their PLC somehow to see what issues they are having. Or do they need the software installed on their laptop for all this to work?

I think the most popular one I found online is TeamViewer, but did not know if it can do what I am talking about. I think with these programs, the client would need the software.

Thanks,

If they have RSLogix/Studio installed on their laptop you could TeamViewer into their computer and run it on their computer from yours. This is the easier to setup and most common used by my customers.

If you setup a TeamViewer VPN and create the driver in RSLinx then you can run RSL/Studio on your computer and use the RSLinx VPN driver to go through their laptop that doesn't then need RSL/Studio running.

So the client needs RS Linx on their laptop, while we both would need some sort of VPN to communicate, correct? Or I have to setup RS Linx on my side?

It should work with just teamviewer VPN, no other s/w installed on the remote required
Just some minor config changes & know-how

There is a link on the forum somewhere

Both laptops need TeamViewer installed with the VPN option checked, and have RSLinx installed.

When you connect don't click the Remote Control option, but click the VPN connection in TeamViewer.

I have connected this way using computers that were already setup, but as far as setting up a new system I don't know how the RSLinx drivers are set. Hopefully someone else here has done it and can jump in on this.

If both computers are Windows 10 or 11, you can use the built in Quick Assist. This would be a little easier as there is no software to install.

I have written this guide:
How to setup Teamviewer VPN.
I do not know if there is an issue with AB PLCs, if there is somethin with RSLinx not allowing to go online via a VPN or routed connection.
I_Automation said:
If you setup a TeamViewer VPN and create the driver in RSLinx then you can run RSL/Studio on your computer and use the RSLinx VPN driver to go through their laptop that doesn't then need RSL/Studio running.
Please send a few screenshots to illustrate this.

Not OP but this is awesome! I do a lot of remote assistance and even when they do have the software it is a pain to remotely control their mouse and have them ask questions about every little thing I look at/do to try and diagnose an issue. I work more with AB but I'm sure with the right linx driver I can get this to work, thanks!

@TheRooster.

If you can post a bit of your experience with Teamviewer VPN and RSLinx etc. and possible a few screenshots, then that would be nice !

edit: I will update the guide, and I will acknowledge anyone that provide me with useful information for the guide..
(y)

Last edited:
I do not know if there is an issue with AB PLCs, if there is somethin with RSLinx not allowing to go online via a VPN or routed connection.

That wasn't on a computer of mine, it was already setup when I hired in a place to access PLC's in another location.

In RSLinx it was the Remove Devices via Linx Gateway and then in the settings were the specs for the TeamViewer VPN connection, the Teamviewer VPN connection had to be active and that computer able to see the PLC before starting that driver.

I would like to know how to set it up myself, and I have been told that it isn't difficult once you know how.

@JesperMP

Turns out the free version of Teamviewer doesn't support VPN functionality. If I can get another version on my computer I will try it out and write some instructions up for it and reply back here with them.

I only use the free version of TeamViewer and have it installed on 5 desktops and 4 laptops with the VPN option that I can use on all of them.

I tried to use the vpn using the guide posted. I was able to enable it in teamviewer settings, but never found the option to connect via vpn. I googled it and found this on the team viewer website. If you are able can you send a screenshot of where the button/selection to connect via vpn is on your teamviewer? Maybe I'm just missing it

teamviewerfree.png

@TheRooster.

If you can post a bit of your experience with Teamviewer VPN and RSLinx etc. and possible a few screenshots, then that would be nice !

edit: I will update the guide, and I will acknowledge anyone that provide me with useful information for the guide..
(y)

I appreciate this guide, it is definitely what I was looking for. Whenever you get the info for RS Linx setup, could you attach the updated guide in this thread also for future reference?

Thanks again!