Rockwell Historian/OPC data tracking through 1783-NATR

CageFreeBMW

Is it possible to gather OPC data through a 1783-NATR? Searching around, it sounds like OPC data might be blocked by any NAT... Is there any work around or is this not a valid solution to my problem?

I am working on getting a machine to a server for data collection. The machine is on a different network than the data collection server so I either need to change the machine IPs or NAT them. Since I'm in a 24/7 facility, I'm trying to get this working an NATR.

Running ControlLogix with a 1756-EN2T ethernet card. All controls equipment is on the private side of the NATR, only my computer and a Historian server on the public side. On both sides of the NATR there is an unmanaged switch.

The NATR is working as expected. I am able to access everything (PLC, HMI's, etc) from the public side using the needed NAT rules. However, I'm unable to get any data from the machine. I'm not very familiar with Historian, so I'm double checked everything with an Excel spreadsheet I built for tracking data with RSLinx Classic OPC.

With my computer on the NATed/public side, I cannot get any data via OPC to the spreadsheet from the PLC. If I connect my computer to the PLC/private side of the NATR, I gather data like normal so I know my spreadsheet is working.

NATR needs to be told to allow OPC port 33xxx through. By default it only allows CIP and PTP.. maybe multicast, but I forget -- it might have a checkbox for multicast.

Anyway, it has a form to enter exceptions, so do that.

Thanks for the reply, Cheeseface. I searched around but I wasn't able to find any specific ports in the 33xxx range for OPC.

However, I kept poking at it today and was able to find the solution. Turns out, no special port rules need to be added to the NATR. My issue ended up being that, even though I tried to update it, my RSLinx Topic Configuration wasn't shifting to the new/external IP address. I ended up adding a second DDE/OPC Topic Configuration to RSLinx with a different name, updated the name in my Excel spreadsheet and started getting my data through the NATR. Not sure why I'm not able to just update the Topic, but I'm satisfied with this solution!