Rockwell MAG with Move While Gearing

Kataeb

Kindly, what do they mean by the below "..." ?
We frequently use Motion Axis Gear (MAG) with an incremental MAM instruction .
What happens if the ratio is not one ?

" Normally a gear ratio of 1 is used with phase adjustment.
A 1:1 ratio ensures that the computed phase error does not change before performing the move to correct it. "

(Rockwell Automation Publication MOTION-RM002J-EN-P-October 2020)
>>> page 131
https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/motion-rm002_-en-p.pdf

I think they are saying that if you are trying to synchronize two axes and the ratio is not 1, they will be drifting apart while you are trying to correct them. If you have them geared to a ratio of 1, they will be at the same speed, but just with a distance error between them.

If we fix the ratio to be 3 , so each time the master runs 360 degrees the slave will do 120 degrees . They are tied together like a mechanical gear . We can phase the slave for 5 degrees any time , and it should work . Why not ?

I don't see a problem with that. You could also set up the scaling of each axis to a common unit if there is one in your process so that the MAG ratio is 1. If there isn't a common unit, then I would go with an MAG ratio of 3.