Rs5000/studio revision help

Ryan_Flowers

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I am trying to connect to a CompactLogix L24ER QB1B with a rs5000 image that I've never connected to before. The problem is that when I use either RS5000 or Studio 5000 it prompts me that the revision is not correct with what is on the controller. I do not want to start a revision and have that controller not work properly, obviously. Attached is what the prompt states. I'm sure it is something simple, but I do not deal with 5000 logic enough to understand what to do in this circumstance. Can someone help me so I don't corrupt my controller operation?

Also, I'm just trying to edit my logic to add some inputs to the system.

Thanks

1.jpg

You need RSLogix5000 Ver 21 to match the CPU firmware revision.

I'm on the road, but I don't think a 5370 controller can be upgraded over ver 26, if that high. I did an old 5573 recently and it only went up to ver 26.

The major version of your software 30.xx does not match the major version of the controller (21.xx). These must match for you to be able to go online, upload, or download. Newer versions cannot automatically talk to older versions.

Since you have version 30, you should also have access to earlier versions. You may have to download it from Rockwell and install it. They use the same license.

Once installed, your computer will automatically switch versions as needed. I often refer to it as "installing support for other versions". You still just have one software application that will automatically switch to the version needed.

Some people here have installed versions 10 through 32 so there computer can talk to just about anything they might come up against.

Be aware that versions 10-20 are called RSLogix 5000 where versions 21 and newer are called Studio 5000. There are actually separate icons to launch these two applications. However the software will automatically switch between the two as needed. For example if you are in Studio 5000 version 30 and you connect to a version 20 controller it will switch to RSLogix 5000 version 20.

OG

Be aware that versions 10-20 are called RSLogix 5000 where versions 21 and newer are called Studio 5000. There are actually separate icons to launch these two applications. However the software will automatically switch between the two as needed. For example if you are in Studio 5000 version 30 and you connect to a version 20 controller it will switch to RSLogix 5000 version 20.

OG

An extra side note, if you need to download version 20 of rs logix 5000, download 20.04; for some reason, if you download 20.01, you can't communicate with anything that's 20.03 and vice versa. The new 20.04 fixed the issue and allows you to work on anything between 20.01 and 20.03.

The major version of your software 30.xx does not match the major version of the controller (21.xx). These must match for you to be able to go online, upload, or download. Newer versions cannot automatically talk to older versions.

Since you have version 30, you should also have access to earlier versions. You may have to download it from Rockwell and install it. They use the same license.

Once installed, your computer will automatically switch versions as needed. I often refer to it as "installing support for other versions". You still just have one software application that will automatically switch to the version needed.

Some people here have installed versions 10 through 32 so there computer can talk to just about anything they might come up against.

OG

I must not understand the process of having multiple revisions of Studio 5000 on one computer. I went through the Rockwell software download page Here but that gives me a download that prompts me to ControlFLASH my device to that revision. Can someone point me in the proper direction to do what this quoted message states?

I must not understand the process of having multiple revisions of Studio 5000 on one computer. I went through the Rockwell software download page Here but that gives me a download that prompts me to ControlFLASH my device to that revision. Can someone point me in the proper direction to do what this quoted message states?

You literally have to install each version of Studio/Logix5000 individually. Control flash is just the firmware flashing program for the controllers. Easiest way is to find you serial number of Studio and use the download by serial number. There will be a drop down box to let you select which revision to download. Also you need an account to login.

You're not alone buddy. Unlike almost every other software out there, Rockwell dedicded to thumb their nose at the idea of backwards compatibility. As others have said, you have to install every major revsions for every major firmware revision you want to support.

Also unlike almost every other software package out there, when you install a newer major revision, it doesn't overwrite the other revisions installed. It installs the newer major revision in it's own directory. So people like myself, who has to support v13-v32, end up inhillating their hard drive space.

When you go to Rockwell's downloads, you download v21, v24, v28, v30, v31, v32, (which ever version you need to support) all individually, then install them one at a time. They will all "happily" coexist in your machine at the same time. The best chance at a smooth install, install them from oldest to newest.

edit: from your link, search for "Logix Designer", that is the new name of the software starting at v21. V20 and earlier is called RSLogix 5000. The name changed because Rockwell.

I installed V21.00 of Logix Designer from the Compatability & Downloads page I posted and I had my administrator install it since it's a work computer. However it appears that Studio 5000 does not open the project to that version, only v30. I also cannot Upload from the controller since it errors out. Is there any way to convert the file I have to that v21.00?

Very confusing.

Looks like sometime between your screenshot and yesterday the Update Firmware button got pressed and now it is ver 30

You can change the firmware of your offline program, usually by going to the properties of the controller and clicking on change controller you should then have an option to select what ever firmware you have installed.

Alan.

I just thought

To open ver 20 do NOT open Studio5000 or Launcher

There should be another shortcut in the Rockwell Start folder called RSLogix5000