RSLink Gateway assistance

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just purchased, installed, activated and configured the drivers for RSLinx Gateway.

1. I purchased this package so I could provide up-to-date production data to various pieces of software. For now, an Excel spreadsheet is what I'm working on. I have successfully created a DDE topic & have created links in a spreadsheet on the PC I installed RSLinx Gateway on. Let's say the link is now "=RSLINX|GTLSTACKER!'F8:4,L1,C1'. What I need know is how to I modify this link to access the data from a computer on the same network? I have RSLinx Classic on the PC I want to access the data from. If I simply copy the formula, I get an error message because Excel tries to read from the native copy of RSLinx, which doesn’t have the capability of accessing the data. I assume I either have to change the syntax of the link or change a setting so that Excel looks elsewhere.

2. Assuming RSLinx Gateway is running, can I run RSLogix 500 on a computer on the same network without running a copy of RSLinx on that same computer? How would I configure RSLogix to not start the native version of RSLinx Classic?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think I have question #1 answered, too - sort of. NetworkDDE isn't an option in Windows 7. Of course, I installed RSLinx Gateway on a Windows 7 PC. Nice.