RsLinx 2.41, no visible nodes

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Specs:
WinNT 4.0, SP6a, using RSlinx 2.41 (OEM)
RsLogix 5, Ver 6.0
(3)PLC 5/80E's

Recently upgraded Rslinx from 1.?? (super who showed the heartbeat function) to 2.41.

Now everything still works fine, but there is nothing shown in RSWho. All the stations are missing. Can't use the who active go on line feature, because there aren't any stations listed.
Running 2.41 on Win2K works fine.

Is there a "fix" for this? I assume it has something to do with NT vs 2K?

thanks,

Ken

make sure that the driver is configured correctly.

you should be seeing some icon for the PLC5's (even red X and yellow?)

If the drivers are setup right, and rswho shows the drivers on the left side, then shut down RSlinx
delete the harmony files from \program files\rockwell software\rscommon\harmony.* (.rsh and .hrc)
restart rslinx

If you didn't "Restore" your configuration in the last step of upgrading the software, you will have to re-configure all of your drivers.

Drivers are configured correctly. I can go online with any PLC. There is an Intellution SCADA node running on the same PC and it works fine.

Just nothing in the view window of Rswho.

I may be off base here but I had similar problems after installing RSLinx on a new laptop.

The problem I found was that RSLinx was running as a service. I had to tell it NOT to load as a service and then fire it up separately.

Don't know it this is your problem or not.....

Steve

don't forget ?

If , and I know you all know it - if devices have a big yellow "?" next to them , that you may well have to update the EDS files , they are available from the AB website , this can happen particularly if you update firmware - I've just done a CLX job , and like a **** followed instructions , forgetting that ENBT wasn't the bloody processor , in consequence updating the firmware on the ethernet card , and losing coms , the nice man at AB put Fred right. But you can save yourself the grief if you do the same thing , or if you have wrong gateway or IP address set , Linx will see the device , but put a big yellow "?" next to it .

On Windows NT4, you may have to manually make entries in the 'hosts' file for Linx to see ethernet CPU's.

Open up the directory (and why did they put it here?):

"C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC"

Open up the "HOSTS" file in notepad.

At the bottom, each on a seperate line, enter a PLC IP address, followed by a name for the PLC (the name isn't really important):

Ex:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.100.1.25 plc1
192.100.1.30 plc2
192.100.1.35 plc3

Then save the hosts file (MAKING SURE NOTEPAD DOES NOT APPEND ".TXT" to it... You can always force notepad to not append ".TXT" by using "Save As", and in the box putting a period after the filename "HOSTS.")

Then reboot, and try it again.

Obviously too, the PLC's and the computer must be on the same subnet!

Did you uninstall your last version of RSLinx? I've noticed that sometimes the RSLinx upgrade actually wants you to uninstall the current version on the machine. You would need to redo all of your settings.

FYI, the lastest version of RSLinx is 2.43.00.