RSLinx OEM in Windows 7

dcooper33

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi guys,
Just took the plunge and upgraded from XP to Win 7 64bit.

I'm running all my Rockwell stuff in a Win 7 32bit VM. I've run into a weird deal with RSLinx.

Installed Linx 3.60 OEM and for some reason I can't open Linx if it is running as a service. If I turn off "Always run as service" in the launch control panel, then I can open Linx and do what I need to do.

I uninstalled the licensed OEM and re-installed 3.60 Lite, and it opens properly like it should with the service running.

I didn't have this problem when running the same software revision in Win XP.

Anybody else run into the same problem? I don't use the OPC features very often, so I could get by with Lite, but I'd like to not have to work around.

TIA

🍻

Dustin

My experience with RSLinx Classic was that there was literally no difference between the editions other than the license. If you got an install that was 'lite', and added an activation, it became OEM or Pro or Gateway.

I wonder if version 3.60 has changed that, and there are actually different components installed based on which installer you use.

I can't give you direct examples of success; the newest I am running is version 2.59 on Windows 7 Professional x64.

This is an unfortunate "feature" with RSLinx in Win7 64-bit. It doesn't matter what version or license you have. To access the GUI, RSLinx cannot be running as a service, it must be running as an application. When running as a service, launching RSLinx does nothing. No error, no splash screen, just nothing at all. I have noticed that if it is configured to not run as a service and I access the Who Active screen in Logix (to cause RSLinx to automatically start) you see it appear in the system tray and you can still access the GUI. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is when it auto-starts in this fashion versus running as a service, but apparently they are different.

This has been extremely frustrating particularly when I am using SoftLogix which REQUIRES RSLinx to run as a service. With SoftLogix you must shut down the soft controllers before you are allowed to shutdown RSLinx and restart it as an application. Unfortunately since your controllers have been shutdown, configuring a driver or an OPC connection is sort of difficult. Quite the cluster. So now, I run SoftLogix on a separate VM.

OG

Last edited: