RSLogix 500 Array Help

ben,
I'm not 100% sure how these folks did it (I didn't read the entire thread) but I've seen it done and have done it myself.

The way I do it is to use one integer as the key...say N17. All the integers in N17 are part of the key. Meanwhile all the integers in N18 are hours. All the integers in N19 are minutes. Another variable is stored in N20. Use SQC to find the key value and then copy the position into an integer...say N7:0. Use N7:0 as the index value to get info out of (or into) N17, N18, N19, N20, etc. I've seen this done to select recipe settings ( and used it that way myself). I've used it as a crude datalogger detecting when somebody switches a piece of equipment into manual mode so they can go walk the dog. "I don't know what happened the basket just never can out....I don't know why they got melted."

Glen, thank you for your response. I am quite new to logix so please be patient with me. I dont think I have N17, N18, N19 in my data files. I only have N7.
But if I were to have N17, N18, etc, would you put 0-23 for hours and 0-59 for minutes, and then increment through those using a counter? Thanks.

Well then, it would make sense why I couldn't find where to add new files since I was using MicroLogix 1000, haha. I'll try with 1100.

if you use a ONS instruction you can move all your items down 1 value..

I have done it in the past..

edit: now that I remember i used a temporary file... copy to it and then copy again one place down..

Last edited:
I did a save as on my program, gutted it so that only the array recording ladder is left and I will try to post it in a moment.

Basically a set of instruction are triggered when a switch is turned from auto to manual or manual to auto. This is recorded at the tail end of an array of integers. At the same time a series of moves occur that move the S words for month, day, and time to the tail end of an array of integers. Then I an indexed copy command to move the entire array one position over.

If you have never seen or done indexed moves or copies you might look at it cross eyed for a minute but they eventually straighten out.

Glen, when I try and open the file I get the error "The project with unsupported processor cannot be opened by RS Logix Micro". Is there any way you could send it as a pdf? I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is Glen's RSLogix 500 program printed to a PDF file. It has 8 ladder files on 60 printed pages.

Oh wow, thank you so much. Thanks everyone for your help. If I have any more questions I'll ask but this has been really helpful. Thanks!