RSLogix 500 inside VMWare XP Host ?

throne7

Hello, I am trying to run RSLogix inside a VMWare Host XP Session but it won't work properly. Basically I tried to open the menu option "Comms"->"System Comms" but nothing happens.

Has anyone successfully run RSLogix or other Rockwell software successfully in VMWare? I am running VMWare version 5.0.0
Thx

We have a Contractor that works with us in the automation department that runs Vmware on his Macbook Air and Pro and he is able to connect and do pretty much everything on a Control Logix 5000 processor and RsView SE. It run nice a smooth.

I run Vmware on a Vista 64 Machine Emulating a Win 2000 operating system but I have not had to connect to a Processor with it. Not much help, But I have seen it done.

I run RSLogix 5000, emulate 5000, RSLinx, RSNetworx (enet,dnet,cnet) FactoryTalk View ME, RSView32 all in a Vm. What service pack do you have installed

ghettofreeryder said:
I run RSLogix 5000, emulate 5000, RSLinx, RSNetworx (enet,dnet,cnet) FactoryTalk View ME, RSView32 all in a Vm. What service pack do you have installed

I bought the student package from the college where I am currently taking a PLC course. I think it has all the software on it valid till Feb28,2009. Right now I only installed RSLogix5,500,5000, RSLinx, RSLogix Emulate 5/500/5000. I installed these because this set is what we used in class, do I need to install anything else?

The reason I am running the Emulator is to test out programs for the assignments. The same set up I have works in a real Host PC but somehow not fully on a VMWare Guest XP.

ghettofreeryder said:
What service pack are you running?

OK, here is what I gather from the right click on my Computer properties of the Guest OS:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
2.61Ghz, 376 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Many of us here use VMware on a daily basis so I think it is safe to say VMware works fine. Version 5 is an older version but should work ok.

I am using several different VMs including one with XP SP3 without issues. The amount of memory allocated is pretty low, but again should be sufficient.

So I guess the question is what does "nothing happens" mean?

Here is a suggestion. In VMware you can capture a movie that will record your actions. If you can record the movie and post it here then we can watch and see for ourselves what is happening. The movie will be a ".avi" file. You will need to "zip" it post it here.

Can you also tell us what version of the following you are using:
  • RSLogix 500
  • RSLinx
  • RSEmulate 500
OG

"Supported" vs "It Seems to Work"

I actually setup a VM last night after seeing this thread and it worked fine for me. SP3 was not an issue. I was also using:

RSLogix500 v8.1
RSEmulate 500 v5.00.08
RSLinx v2.54

OG