[RSLogix 5000] How can I copy descriptions of tag members between projects?

baner998

Hello,

What is the Problem:
I have an old version of projects with all the tags' descriptions and a new one without them. I know how to export/import tag descriptions but i don't know how to export/import descriptions of the tag members. Let's say I have the tag "CPU_RACK_1:11:I" related to the digital input module. Each bit of this tag has different description.

How can I export them from one project and import in another?

Hello,

What is the Problem:
I have an old version of projects with all the tags' descriptions and a new one without them. I know how to export/import tag descriptions but i don't know how to export/import descriptions of the tag members. Let's say I have the tag "CPU_RACK_1:11:I" related to the digital input module. Each bit of this tag has different description.

How can I export them from one project and import in another?
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried saving both projects in LK5 format and use a text editor?

Last edited:
I have tried something similar, I have saved both projects in .L5X format and opened them in Notepad++. I have found what I was looking for (tag member descriptions) but copying them between projects seems to be time consuming (it is a bit of a big project). Other option is to write a script to do it for me but I was wondering if it couldn't be done more simply (but I am afraid there is no easier way :( )

Bolatov, thanks for sugestion, but I have tried this method.
Results:
I am able to export descriptions of main tags (for example description of the whole tag CPU_RACK_1:11:I) but I am not able to export descriprions of the tag members (which can regard for example specific inputs or outputs, lets say CPU_RACK_1:11:I.Pt00Data).

All descriptions should be included in the tag export. I frequently export/import tag comments to populate the safety I/O comments in excel. Comment one input something like "FIND ME", do a tag export, and then search the resulting excel spreadsheet for "FIND ME". That'll show you the basic structure of how individual bit comments are represented in the CSV, and you can extrapolate from there.

ASF, you are right. I haven't paid much attention to the layout of the .csv file and I didn't notice that tag members identifiers are located in the "Specifier" column. Now everything is clear, thanks a lot :)