RSLogix 5000 to CompactLogix Through VPN

oskeremmie

Hi:
I am currently using RSLogix 5000 (Version 16.03) and connecting to a CompactLogix processor (FW version 16.4) through a Cisco VPN. I can go online with the processor and see data changing (although rather slowly) and I can add tags and modify timer presets and integer tag values. When I go to make a rung edit, I can go into edit mode (small i on the left of rung being edited and small r on the left of copy of rung being edited) and make my changes. Once I complete my changes, I press the Accept Pending Rung Edits button and I get the dialog box asking me if I want to accept the edits. I click Yes and the accepting edits status bar appears. Problem is RSLogix will stay in this state for several hours, until the VPN disconnects, either on it's own or by me. The logic changes do not make it to the controller. What really puzzles me is that while the accepting edits status bar is up, I can still see data changing in the background (for example, I can see timer accumulators increasing). Acording to the VPN installer, the VPN ports are wide open and I am using the Ethernet devices driver in Linx.
Any suggestions on what my problem might be?

Thanks,

I started with that driver and had the same result. From what I have read the Ethernet/IP driver doesn't work very well through VPN. I will try it again just to be sure.

I use RSLogix5000 with Linx Ethernet driver through several different VPNs including CISCO and have never seen this problem. The only difference is I have not used CISCO with any version 16 Firmware sites yet. I have no problems (up to version 15 anyway) for Cisco, Sonicwall, Checkpoint, Microsoft, Netvanta or Citrix VPNs.

Just checked through the old posts and found similar issues here. Perhaps there are some clues there - such as the possible problem being RSLinx Enterprise. I run my CISCO in a Virtual Machine (conflict with company network otherwise) which does not have RSLinx Enterprise. I intentionally do not run Linx and Linx Enterprise on the same machine as I have seen it cause problems numerous times.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36489

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=35555&highlight=online+edits+slow