RSLogixs 5000

wjparker

Can anybody give me a price range for the RSLogix 5000? I don't seem to be able to find the price. I need a ballpark figure to present to my Managers on Monday.

I really don't think I need to purchase a $200 copy (on E-Bay)from Canada that can't be registered with AB.:confused:

Last edited:
RA software licenses can be transferred from user to user; we do that all the time as an OEM.

But every time I've participated in a license transfer it's been in the context of buying a machine system or the assets of another company.

I have never seen a legitimate Rockwell software license offered for sale on eBay, but I have seen dozens of pirated copies for sale there.

If you're concerned about the price tag, you should look at alternatives to Allen-Bradley. There are many world class platforms that out class and out perform AB on every front that are significantly cheaper. AB's popularity is mostly based on brand recognition and industry inertia. B&R and Beckhoff are two high end platforms that are gaining momentum (B&R is, in my opinion, the superior of the two, but Beckhoff is getting better).

EDIT:
I don't know what Beckhoff charges for their TwinCAT software, I've never actually used it (I just know they very similar to B&R). you can get B&R's full blown Automation Studio for around $1500 (depends on your distributor and if you buy enough stuff, they might give it to you for free) and B&R offers "Maintenance" licenses that can do everything but make a new project for a few hundred, so you only really need one full seat and everyone else can use Maintenance versions. There is no other software, Automation Studio does PLC, Drives, HMI, Safety, everything (and it makes FactoryTalk and Studio 5000 look like a joke), so you don't have to worry about buying any other software from them.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about the price tag, you should look at alternatives to Allen-Bradley. There are many world class platforms that out class and out perform AB on every front that are significantly cheaper. AB's popularity is mostly based on brand recognition and industry inertia. B&R and Beckhoff are two high end platforms that are gaining momentum (B&R is, in my opinion, the superior of the two, but Beckhoff is getting better).

EDIT:
I don't know what Beckhoff charges for their TwinCAT software, I've never actually used it (I just know they very similar to B&R). you can get B&R's full blown Automation Studio for around $1500 (depends on your distributor and if you buy enough stuff, they might give it to you for free) and B&R offers "Maintenance" licenses that can do everything but make a new project for a few hundred, so you only really need one full seat and everyone else can use Maintenance versions. There is no other software, Automation Studio does PLC, Drives, HMI, Safety, everything (and it makes FactoryTalk and Studio 5000 look like a joke), so you don't have to worry about buying any other software from them.

I'm guessing his primary concern is supporting equipment they have, hence he needs to justify the expense of the software required to support the equipment purchased. I doubt he has much choice in the matter.

The situation

Again, I appreciate the info. Paully is correct. We had a machine custom built and it came with the AB equipment. The manufacturer installed programs as my company directed. As we have grown with the equipment (it is an R&D tool), it is becoming obvious thet we need 1) to program changes ourselves, thus purchase the RSLogix 5000 or 2) keep paying the vendor to come in and make changes as specified.

It is somewhat a conundrum as to which direction..... we don't anticipate making all that many changes, but, a few service calls and we would have paid for the software. Of course we have to get someone (me) trained to program as well, but I see that as a plus for our company.

That's a tough call. You're an end user, but you're doing machine R&D. If you wanted to do machine building and R&D semi-constantly to stay ahead of the competition, then yes, Getting RSLogix and some training is cheaper than getting an integrator all the time and you will end up with a better machine if you become good at programming. Integrators want to finish and move on to the next job, you'll have time to give the machine some TLC.

If this kind of R&D is only going to happen every few years, stick with the integrator. If PLC programming isn't a big part of your job for at least several months after training, you'll just forget everything, never get good at it, and any dry spells will make you rusty. You also have to keep in mind that AB releases new versions of Studio 5000 pretty much annually and without an upgrade contract, you will find yourself having to buy the new version to use the newest PLCs every few years.

I used to work for an integrator/distributor and I saw a lot of end users (and even some OEMs) dump money down the drain buying development software for guys and then skimp on training to the point that they couldn't possibly maintain the program themselves. They had to turn around and pay us thousands of dollars every few weeks to come in and fix the damage they did and then again for us to make the change they tried to make. I've also seen end users bite the bullet and spend $10k to get a guy trained up and they never paid us for PLC programming again.

I appreciate the feedback! It's giving me a lot to think about.

I wish I was clarvoyant. It's kind of one of those decisions where I could lose either way I go (at least in the eyes of my mgr)

Cost ranges from $1,000 to $4,000.

There are a bunch of different levels for RSLogix 5000. They have a Service and a Lite packages along with the Standard package that I use (there are bunch more).

Prices range from $1,000 to $4,000. Work with a local distributor and pick out the right version for your application. Your local distributor will also be able to provide (free) support.

Here are a few of the part numbers (English version):

9324-RLD200ENE RS Logix Mini

9324-RLD000ENE RSLogix 5000 Service Edition

9324-RLD250ENE RSLogix 5000 Lite Edition

9324-RLD300ENE RSLogix5000 Standard Offline/Online