S7-300 and OPC server

yadez300

Hello,

I need to be able to read and write to S7-300's memory using an OPC server such as KEPServerEx.

The setup consists of a CPU315F-2 PN/DP, ET200S distributed I/O, Simatic HMI mp277 and a SCALANCE-X208 switch.

What options do I have for using OPC? I suppose ethernet would require a communication processor. What about MPI, shoud it work? KEPServerEx seems to have a driver: http://www.kepware.com/Spec_Sheets/Siemens_S7_MPI.asp

Greetings,

For the Siemens PLC you have, you can either go serial or Ethernet.

Kepware offers what they call a Driver Suite that consists of various drivers of a specific manufacturer. In the case of Siemens, for the controller you are using you will either use the S7 MPI or Siemens TCP/IP driver. Both are available within the Siemens Driver Suite.

You can download the manuals from our web site via the following link:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepwaredownloads.htm

Just scroll down to Siemens. You can also order the driver suite if you have not yet done so through our online store.

From this same link, you can download the OPC server that would include your drivers but is restricted to a 2 hour run time. Once you decide to purchase, you would then receive a license configured to the purchase of your specified drivers and options.

Why would you use MPI when you have ethernet ?
Much more performant, and costs less. And MPI is fast becoming obsolete.
Your S7 CPU already has an ethernet port, and for the PC a regular ethernet port is sufficient.

Thank you for you replies.

Jesper: I'm considering MPI because I have no communication processor, which I have understood is necessary for using ethernet for OPC. Or have I misunderstood?

Thank you,

since I'm already using ethernet for programming, does this mean I need no further configuration except for the OPC server itself, so I can use it as it is?