S7 TIA Portal: What size memory card do I need?

Mas01

Supposing I want to be put a TIA Portal Project "executable image" onto a memory card (e.g. see picture).

The reason for doing this is so that I can do PLC updates offline, compile it etc, then transfer the new project to the memory card, then take it to customer site for loading onto the PLC.

How do I know what size memory card I need?

Obviously I need to know what the size of the compiled "image" file/data files, but where or how can I find this out?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. For what it is, these seem very expensive, even without the usual RS mark-up.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 144542 mem card.png

Last edited:
In TIA, find Card Reader/USB memory .. Add user-defined Card reader.
That will prompt you for a folder location where you can send a memory card image.
When you have done that, you can drag the PLC CPU and drop it into the user-defined reader.
TIA will compile and then transfer the program to the folder.
You can check the size of the folder.

I would use the next size up 12 MB even if the 4 MB card is big enough.

For what it is, these seem very expensive, even without the usual RS mark-up.
I do not agree with that.
SMC cards are far less expensive than the MMC cards, which were less expensive than the MC cards, and don't get me started on how expensive an AB PLC Eprom card is.

The usual warning:
You can insert an SMC card in a regular card reader, copy files and folders to and from it.
But do not format the card in Windows !!
Also, use the safe removal of cards when using the SMC card in a regular card reader.

In TIA, find Card Reader/USB memory .. Add user-defined Card reader.
That will prompt you for a folder location where you can send a memory card image.
When you have done that, you can drag the PLC CPU and drop it into the user-defined reader.
TIA will compile and then transfer the program to the folder.
You can check the size of the folder.

I would use the next size up 12 MB even if the 4 MB card is big enough.

Thanks for this @JesperMP .

Here is the size I got by following your instructions = 640 KB

Screenshot 2024-02-29 153908 memory size.png

I also want to know the size of the HMI files, in case I change any of these in the future.

To determine the size of the HMI files, I tried to drag/drop "HMI_1 [KTP1200 Basic PN]" into the folder I created.

However, I got this error message when I press the LOAD button.

Does anyone know what it means? Thanks

Screenshot 2024-02-29 164438 hmi drag - drop.png

Screenshot 2024-02-29 164103 HMI dowload error msg.png

SMCs are much more forgiving. If the card has been formatted with Windows you can recover the card by using the CPU to reformat it. (Using the CPU's color screen and keypad.)
hot diggety, really? I need to file that away in the hopes that i never ever ever need to use that info....