Should I buy a DELTA PLC ?

eagl1

Hi,

I want to build a production line project using a PLC.

This is the project page:
https://nevonprojects.com/plc-based-product-sorting-machine/

In components list, it's mentioning DELTA PLC.

I searched about this brand and found it on Aliexpress, like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005489977450.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.7.72d04355brA4rH&algo_pvid=9cafc928-b192-42cd-a037-e70ba27cd483&algo_exp_id=9cafc928-b192-42cd-a037-e70ba27cd483-3&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21SAR%21291.93%21291.93%21%21%21555.11%21%21%4021038eda16940241219587706e5c7f%2112000033285495745%21sea%21SA%21175575373%21&curPageLogUid=eDBB3OcHKfsg

They seemed to be priced ok and there are many options, and there are the two versions; using relays or using transistors.

There are also various input/output counts.

But the problem is that there isn't clear resources about this brand; like, which programming environment and there aren't obvious YouTube tutorials.

So my question, can you guys help me to know if it's easy to program or I better get something else ?

Yep, thanks.

I checked their website. They're mentioning that they've been in business from 1971 !

So what I understood, is that they are a Twainian company.

I found their software annd couldn't find the specific PLC documentation.

It appears to be a _very_ simple sorting machine.
The PLC used is a micro type.
Any modern PLC can do this job.

It seems you are using the nevonprojects website as inspiration which is fine.
But there is not much information to be gleaned from their website.
I would not decide what PLC to use based on that website.

you need to select service support /download centre then select plc & so on
it will depend on the PLC model but here is a link to one I found
https://downloadcenter.deltaww.com/...=DVP-EC3 Series&sort_expr=cdate&sort_dir=DESC

Here is a manual for one type

https://filecenter.deltaww.com/Prod...anual/DELTA_IA-PLC_DVP-PLC_PM_EN_20220407.pdf

Yep, thank you very much I checked the manual and even I downloaded a starter kit folder than has several files about manuals and instruction sheets.

This one:
DELTA_IA-PLC_DVP-StarterKit-A1_OM_EN_20181212

The IDE manual is very detailed and clear. I like this company job they have good documentation system.

It appears to be a _very_ simple sorting machine.
The PLC used is a micro type.
Any modern PLC can do this job.

Yep, I know also that I can do it with an Arduino system.

Such control projects can be done with PLCs or microcontrollers.

This semester is my fist time doing projects with PLCs.

I myself have done one project in my bachelor degree with a PLC, and it was a simple one to run a 3-ph motor in star-delta configuration and that's it.

It seems you are using the nevonprojects website as inspiration which is fine.

Yep, I have no much experience of where to find good PLC projects online.

But there is not much information to be gleaned from their website.

Yep, I only got the components list so that's way I thought that I only need to know the required parts, and then I will try with the students to do the programming.

Please, provide me with any resources about good PLC projects.

I would not decide what PLC to use based on that website.

Yep, but it turned out that DELTA PLC are good for me theoretically from the aspect of price and it seem to have good documentation to start working on these PLCs.

Yep, but it turned out that DELTA PLC are good for me theoretically from the aspect of price and it seem to have good documentation to start working on these PLCs.

Initial price is almost last aspect you need to consider.
I had personal example where I've used cheaper brand and it cost me so much more money over time instead opting for initially 4 times more expensive PLC.
Interesting thing is that cheap brand PLC was also reliable, as 95% of PLCs are.
At least you need to select model that will be available at least in next 10 years.

Initial price is almost last aspect you need to consider.

Yes, I agree in real situation like, a company production system or sensitive control system.

But in my case, it's for diploma graduation course and it's on the students budget. That's why it's better to get these cheap PLCs.

I had personal example where I've used cheaper brand and it cost me so much more money over time instead opting for initially 4 times more expensive PLC.

How that happened ? can you tell the story :)

Interesting thing is that cheap brand PLC was also reliable, as 95% of PLCs are.

Me too I think so, this is every company goal is to produce good products. But of course some companies might provide something that isn't reliable and every with no quality.

So every company has its reputation, and that what matters. But anyway I have no much experience with PLC companies.

I thought that siemens is the only reliable company in the market because it's the one I learned in my diploma course and that was long time ago.

Now I learned that there are far more good companies with a big history in industrial and commercial applications.

At least you need to select model that will be available at least in next 10 years.

Yea, anyway I think DELTA PLCs are ok for the price I have no idea about their production and support system but it should work for a simple diploma project.

... every company['s] goal is to produce good products. ...

Actually, every company's goal is to turn a profit and keep the shareholders happy.

If making good products support those goals, then good products are a secondary, but never a primary, goal.

Actually, every company's goal is to turn a profit and keep the shareholders happy.

If making good products support those goals, then good products are a secondary, but never a primary, goal.

If good products is a secondary goal, then what would be the primary goal ?

First of all this is not a Delta PLC it is an obvious clone so it's reliability is questionable, also, I know people who have had experience of buying other clones (there is no way this is genuine at this price), sometimes certain functions are not availlable & probably the firmware may be old versions, in saying that it is surprising how well they work even if limited in their operation.
For just home use they will be fine if the seller have good history.
As fot the 24v internal supply these are generally only good enough to power the inputs, if you intend powering outputs then I suggest you also buy a 24v power supply, does not matter if the PLC is 24v or 110/240v if you only intend driving small loads (probably not more than 1 amp in total & not all at once then the internal 24v should be fine but the best bet is to use a seperate 24v supply for outputs in which case will not matter what model you buy.

OK, I asked one of my colleagues about using a PLC for electronics graduation project. And he told me that the actual use of PLC is in the industrial sector.

Using it in a small graduation project is the same of using a microcontroller board. They both will do the same job.

Plus if I wanted to control high voltage outputs, then I should use a relay module and problem is solved.

So instead of paying ~$60 for this clone PLC, I can get a cheap arduino board for $5 and use the rest of money to buy other stuff.