Siemens 840D

Well, yes !

I'm strictly in a troubleshooting role on a machine with three 840D NCUs networked together with a bunch of S7-319 and S7-317 controllers, but I'm learning more about it all the time.

What's your application like ?

I have a Cincinnati/Lamb V5 2000 CNC milling center with a 840 D, 317 PLC and 611 drives.
We sent the Y axis motor out for rebuild and when we put it back on, the Y axis scale and the motor encoder do not like each other anymore. As the axis moves the encoder and the scale grow further apart. I sent the motor back to Siemens and its still has the same issue.
Have you come across this before?

It actually sounds very simple, like the phase labels got switched and the motor is now rotating opposite of where it used to. You wouldn't expect that because you probably never disconnected the output leads from the amplifier, and the motor probably has a quick-disconnect so you didn't expect that could be wrong.

The 611 series drives have ordinary power terminals; try switching two of the output phases and see if the motor and encoder now advance in the same direction.